Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 5th series ship (spoliers)

Author Topic: 5th series ship (spoliers)
grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over in the GD forum, there's a link to an article at www.warp11.com about a rumored premise for the 5th series: legitimate Starfleet Intelligence operatives (not section 31) in a kind of Trek meets Bond. If this turns out to be true (and isn;t shot down by paramount, like the other two 5th series premises), would this series havea ship? Of course they'd need some way to fly around. Maybe they'djust hop aboard other federation ships, or alien vessels. But I suspect that the series would have some kind of main ship. Rodenberry considred the enterprise a kind of character. So, what would be the ship character of this fifth series? Some kind of black ops ship? With a cloak? Possibly another warship, that makes the Defiant look wimpy, with a thin profile and high-speed look?

------------------
USS Infinity
NX-99237
First Transwarp Ship of the Fleet
Discovered Stardate 4578
San Fransico Fleet Yards

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."-Unknown Vulcan Philosopher

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard something about the U.S.S. Excellence in one of the other threads. It said it would be 3 times the size of the Ent-D. BAD idea! Such a ship would be too big to be realistic.

Furthur than that, I don't think we can really say what kind of ship should be used until the story is decided on.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah! Space is big. I'm tired of tiny ships like the Galaxy and Sovereign.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Stuff" - Nobody

Saboc
Ex-Member

Do you what would be great? I think the new series should be onboard a mobile-station. A large mothership with full repairing, upgrading, and producing capabilities.

------------------
-Surak: "Nothing unreal exists"
-Spock: "Logic is the beginning of wisdom..."

Saboc
Ex-Member

By the way Shadow, I used to live in CT too. I lived in Waterbury and worked in Hartford.

------------------
-Surak: "Nothing unreal exists"
-Spock: "Logic is the beginning of wisdom..."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nifty. I'm not that far from Hartford myself, actually.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Stuff" - Nobody

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grb: You mention that GeneR considered the E a sort of character. Unfortunately, in recent years, TPTB seem less and less considerate of Roddenberry's original vision. Not to say that there won't be a single primary ship in the series. But the only reason this will be is because it costs too much to make new sets for every epsiode. Consequently, the series muct have a single main setting.

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not entirely true. Virtual sets are quite believable and affordable. Standing sets are easily adaptable to other starships. All in all, it's not so hard to do.

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virtual sets might look believable, at least with enough money. But they just don't feel right. Even a photo-realistic computerized backdrop is still going to be seperated from the characters. This is just fine for your larger or more special shots. But to have virtual quarters, for instance, deprives the actors from anything real to wrap their characters around.

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps