Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transporter Queries

Author Topic: Transporter Queries
Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, the accepted function of the transporter is converting matter to energy and back. So:

1. What happens if you try to transport energy, eg. an energy being? It's been done, but does anyone have a theoretical mechanism for this?

2. What happens if you're beamed up while firing a phaser? And what happens to the beam?

3. If (as in "The Most Toys") a weapon can be disarmed in the transporter, and the energy simply dissipated, could the transporter be abused as a way of preventing nasty injuries (disintegration etc.) by beaming someone aboard at the moment of the shot?

------------------
WARNING: Storing semtex in the microwave
may be hazardous to your health!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, what happens is this:

1) All forms of matter and energy seem to have a "phased" equivalent, and the transporter "phases" them into this form, then squirts them to the destination, and "re-phases" them. It does NOT change people into radio waves or anything.

2)If you beam up when firing a phaser, part of the
phaser beam is snatched up with you, while the rest just sort of dissipates when there is no phaser feeding it. We see this effect in TNG "Datalore" among others. This is further proof that phaser beams travel much more slowly than light, BTW.

3) I think the reaction time of transporters is too slow for that. We do see how Spock snatches Kirk and McCoy away in STVI, and the Klingons begin firing right through the dissipating forms of our heroes without much effect. But that was just a coincidence in timing, and would not save the characters if the Klingons decided to shoot first and Spock activated the transporter only in response to this.

Timo Saloniemi

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as beaming energy, it ought to be easier than matter.

According to an article I read a few months ago in Discover Magazine, Scientists have already successfully "beamed" photons with a primitive transporter device. The big problem will be learning how to dematerialize matter, then reassemble it at a desired location.

--Baloo

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there's that little ol' thing called the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle to contend with as well...

------------------
"Stop right there! I have here the only working phaser ever built! It was fired only once: to keep William Shatner from making another album."

- The Collector, "Treehouse of Horror X," The Simpsons.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh the Heisenberg issue? How does it work, again?
-It works just fine!!!

------------------
-You're crazy!!!
-I thought I was pisces!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for reminding me:

Because of the "Uncertainty Principle," It Is
impossible for the Consumer to Find Out at
the Same Time Both Precisely Where This
Product Is and How Fast It Is Moving.

(I located the above warning HERE)

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps