Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Canon vs Official (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Canon vs Official
Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you seriously telling me Nick Sagan (writer and son of cosmologist Carl Sagan) and Andre Bormanis (science advisor) slept through their science classes?
*ROTFLMAO*

What about all those silly inconsistencies they *can't* explain - and all those little things we're forever SWDAO-ing?

So, the challenge stands - who wants to start writing the definitive Treknology reference book??

------------------
WARNING: Storing semtex in the microwave may be hazardous to your health!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Children of people talented in one area are not necessarily inclined in the same area. Everyone in my family but myself is musically gifted. I on the other hand, have a knack for mathematics. Just because Sagan, son of Sagan, had a scientist father doesn't mean he is equally gifted in that area. He might've gotten sick of all that science stuff he heard when growing up and decided to excell at something else. As far as Trek having a science advisor, judging by many of the scripts, they'd be just as well off buying Asimov's Guide to Science and putting it on a shelf somewhere. They don't often give evidence of having much more scientific knowledge than the typical 5th-grader.

--Baloo

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 19, 1999).]

Starbuck
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your point...
Well if nothing else, the pseudoscience is usually reasonably consistent... although I'm getting kinda sick of something-metric scans, something-genic particles, and "innoculations" against radiation poisoning... I could write more scientifically accurate scripts and I'm an undergraduate biologist!

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that every other term starts w/ "iso-"... :-)

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. 8)

------------------
Remo Williams: "Chiun, you're amazing!"
Chiun: "No! I am BETTER than that!"

- Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous (1986)

Starfleet Weapons & Tactics

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iso-: prefix, abbrev. for isolated (from angry scientist fans).

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Starbuck
Member # 153

Actually, it just occurred to me:

Astronomer Carl Sagan was also an author - he wrote several textbooks (including "Cosmos"), and the novel Contact. The latter was recently made into a movie starring Jodie Foster.
So there!
*smirks triumphantly*
Like father, like son

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, science fiction at that.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been done SOOOOO many times before. All "canon" means to me is "from the TV shows or Movies". If somethings not "canon" but official i could care less i still consiter it part of trek until or if they say otherwise on the show/movies. Who really cares anymore? Remember? its Science *Fiction*.

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX GraphicsThe United Federation UplinkAxisIRC
------------------
Janeway: "Dimissed"
Neelix: [stands there dumbfounded] "b..but.."
Janeway: "That's Starfleet for get out"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps