Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » When did we first see the Defiant's MSD? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When did we first see the Defiant's MSD?
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did we see the graphic for the first time? I couldn't find it anywhere on the bridge in "The Search".

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time we see the engineering set, perhaps? I'm not sure when that was...

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time we saw the engineering set was in "The Adversary"

But wasn't the MSD seen in the 'conference table' area behind the captain.

Andrew

------------------
Ralph: Um, Miss Hoover? There's a dog in the vent.
Hoover: Ralph, remember the time you said Snagglepuss was outside?
Ralph: He was going to the bathroom.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What other interior areas of the ship have we seen? There is also the mess hall, I can't recall seeing it prior to "Starship Down", and obviously they didn't have any idea where it was supposed to be at that time. The Fact Files show a big rectangle covering half the top view of the ship as the location of the mess hall

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")
Ex Astris Scientia

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MSD definately appeared in "The Adversary" in engineering (I went and watched the video). The MSD didn't appear behind the conference table until sometime afterward.

The MSD claims that the top of the "nose" (deck 2) is where the mess hall is. The DS9TM plans labels the same location as the "warhead control room".

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah in Starship Down - I think it was Muniz!?! pointed to an area at the front top section as the mess hall where Quark and that Karemman were... (that was James Cromwell!)

hmmmm as for what areas we have seen hmmmm

The bridge
a standard quarters
Sisko's ready room
The mess hall
Engineering
the corriors off the port egress of the bridge... seen in "Facets"
The shuttle control room - from outside
two types of shuttlecraft.
The corridor outside the quarters - seen in "The Search" and "Trials and Tribblations"
Have we seen the brig?? - or is that a starbase brig we've seen.

Andrew.

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to the above, we have seen

-the armory (never mind it's just a crew cabin redressed, "To the Death")
-Jeffries tubes ("Destiny" et al.)
-turbolift interior ("The Search" I think)
-transporter room (or more exactly "transporter corridor" , "The Search")
-cargo bay ("The Ship")
-sickbay ("Broken Link")

So pretty much all the traditional areas of a starship have been covered. Besides a bathroom, what else are we missing, except a shipboard kindergarten or arboretum or other things that certainly won't be aboard the Defiant?

Timo Saloniemi

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dax: You are obviously unfamiliar with military cuisine.

"Warhead control room" and "mess hall" are synonymous.

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

can't believe I forgot sickbay and transporter!

plus - what was that 'room' that Jadzia and Bashir were trapped in in "Starship Down"
Oh cause I'm lazy - were people wondering if there was a dorsal phaser turret?

look at this - some proof?
http://atstv.webhostme.com/photos/dsn_4/0541914a.jpg

------------------

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Bashir and Dax were trapped in a turbolift.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paris: Yep, that was definately a turbolift that Jadzia and Julian were trapped in.

AndrewR: That pic is from "Shattered Mirror". We also see that same emitter fire in "Paradise Lost" and "The Emperor's New Cloak".

Oh yeah, we saw the Defiant-class USS Valiant brig in "Valiant". Does that count?

Also, I remember the Valiant ready room having a window. Isn't that a bit odd?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's strange, I just remembered from some episode that the USS Defiant never had a ready room. That's why the table in back of the bridge showed up, a substitue for the ready room, I think.

------------------
I don't care who you are, where you're from
What you did, as long as you love me.
Who you are, where you're from
What you did, as long as you love me.

-Backstreet Boys

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for these enumerations. It would also be interesting to see what's on the doorsigns. Maybe we can then establish how the ship's sections are laid out. I would expect a system akin to the E-D's secondary hull, as opposed to the polar divisions of the primary.

As far as the original question is concerned, (our) Dax once noted that 68.58m + 170.68m/2 gives 119.6m. It could be that the former two figures predominated before the MSD was drawn up (which explains how the Art Department could ignore something as obvious as the MSD when deriving the 560 feet).

The medium-sized Defiant of the MSD could be a combination of the large Defiant established in the DS9 docking shots, and the small Defiant established in comparisons with the Galor and perhaps Jim Martin's sketches. We know that the latter used a ~68m figure for the "early" sketch in the Magazine, drawn without knowledge of the MSD, and there is further evidence supporting the number as an early production value.

The Fact Files' Defiant entry totally ignored the MSD as well, does anyone know when it was published, exactly?

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited November 27, 1999).]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

That Fact Files Defiant page (file 28, card 1) must have been published after First Contact came out. The page mentions the Defiant's encounter with the Borg cube in the Starship Facts section.

------------------
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

It seems really strange that they couldn't have gotten hold of the MSD. Perhaps the first data was collected a long time before publication, maybe the folks who make the files wanted to have a number of issues done before releasing the first one.

Boris

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps