Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Something's missing on the Enterprise-E bridge (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Something's missing on the Enterprise-E bridge
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for extended periods in warp perhaps having a viewer on would be as meserising as am endless highway stretching to infinity is in the US.

That said, perhaps that was the key to Suslu's piloting expertise.

"Sulu, what's your secret?!"

"Well, first of all ignore what they teach you in Academy, and fly with the viewer ON".

------------------
"He'll kill us all if we don't kill him first!
KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL!!!!"

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the seats in "Yesterday's Enteprise" and "Emissary":
I think it's not that there was no First Officer's seat. More probably, there was no *counselor*'s seat.

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I believe the alternate E-D from "Yesterday's Enterprise" had neither an XO nor counselor seat. The captain's seat was on a raised platform by itself.

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the YE alt-Enterprise-D didn't have a counsellor either, so a seat would be pretty redundant.

I'm sure they're are some early eps of TNG where someone gives the command 'Viewer on'. Possibly in "The Last Outpost", but I'm not watching it to check.

And to counter Monty's claim, aren't stars suppossed to be pretty? I'm sure the crew would love to watch them fly by, and feel "inspired" or sumink.

Actuall,y to go back to the original point, what was the advantage of the 3d viewer, Since the flat viewers were 3d too. Was it so you could walk around the picture? Or was Picard suppossed to stand in the middle of the holoviewer, grab the Borg cube and say "I am pinching your head"?

------------------
*gasp* "The pictures...they're...coming...alive!"
-Abe Simpson, on the miracle of the moving image

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you could walk into or around the picture. I think it was just that that section of the wall could display holographic images other than the viewscreen. Basically, the only difference between it and a normal viewscreen is that there was no frame.

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine the bridge crew could get dizzy watching the star streaks or whatever they actually represent fly by all the time. It's also unnecessarily boring, not better than staring at an empty wall. I don't know what Sulu liked about it. I would use the screen as a main status monitor, maybe with insets showing live views from different crucial areas of the ship (not what you think in your dirty imagination ;-)).

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")
Ex Astris Scientia

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, when I first heard that the new film (this was in mid-1996) was going to feature a 'holographic viewscreen' I assumed it would be either a 3D affair. . . which admittedly sounded crap. Maybe the holographic viewscreen was capable of giving virtual views of what they were looking at, extrapolating from available information. Or something.

So why replace it? Maybe they got a holocommunicator instead, and *sarcastically* we all know how extensively those are used nowadays. . .

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about those holograms that came out of the Picard's Desk and the obs lounge table - seen in "The Last Outpost" - pity we didn't see them again... would have been cool... especially as computer graphics got better - well we know where Crusade stole their idea from...

------------------
"What's an Oprah?" - Teal'c, Stargate-SG1

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And La Femme Nikita (the series), and the latest Bond film, and. . .
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Return of the Jedi too. And bad bad people who didn't realise that reference in South Park: BL&U

------------------
*gasp* "The pictures...they're...coming...alive!"
-Abe Simpson, on the miracle of the moving image

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps