Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Voyager's Cruising Speed

Author Topic: Voyager's Cruising Speed
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think we have figured out Voyager's standard cruising speed. Its top cruising speed is Warp 9.975, which it can probably maintain for a few hours.
Its normal cruising speed is Warp 6.3. This is a new figure that the prodution staff seems to be using.
Not only was it mentioned in Pathfinder, but also in Warhead:
Ensign Kim is on the night shift, and asks the conn officer what their status is. She says Warp 6.3. So we have it confirmed, pretty much, that Voyager's standard cruising speed is Warp 6.3.

Just something I thought I would mention.

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just something I want to mention:
The original 70 years prediction said in 'Caretaker' relates to an average speed of (almost exactly) warp 8.

------------------
Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free annual trip around the sun!

(-=\V/=-)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the prediction in "Caretaker" was combined with the words "even at maximum speed" or "even at best"?

And while the writers in the beginning clearly were supposed to use 1000ly/y, this figure never really made it to the screen. Warp 6.3 (or 6.2 in "Pathfinder") would be a more reasonable cruise speed estimate, in view of the (equally noncanon) references to the w 6.0 cruise speed of the E-D.

Either we should consider the 1000ly/y idea to apply only to maximum speed, or then to cruise speed within civilized space where pit stops are fast and efficient. If Janeway believed her ship cruised at w 6.2 instead of 1000ly/y, she would still use the 75 year estimate to denote a sort of lower limit. After all, she was contrasting the speed the ship could give them to the speeds available if she managed to find wormholes, shortcuts or the second Caretaker. In such a comparison, it would be better to use a lower limit than a realistic estimate.

"Even if we do better than ever and break all speed records, we'll spend 75 year out there - so this is why I think it's a good idea to hunt for wormholes". Just the kind of speech Janeway would have to give to make her mixed crew agree to exploration and maintaining the Starfleet way.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Addendum again:

The deeper meaning of "cruise speed" and "maximum speed" warrants some discussion.

Cruise speed ought to be the speed the ship can maintain without taxing herself, i.e. the ship that gives the nominal engine lifetime. However, in deep space this can be impractically low, and the E-D for one was said to use high warp exceptionally much ("Phantasms" et al). So perhaps there are several grades of cruise speed:

Nominal sustainable/cruise speed: this spares the engines, and can be maintained for years without slowing down. Warp six for most Starfleet ships (TOS warp for TOS ships, TNG warp for TNG ships)

Deep-space sustainable/cruise speed: this is needed for long transits, and can be maintained for a couple of weeks. Warp eight to nine (the infamous 1000ly/y in optimal conditions and short pit stops) for most large Starfleet ships. TOS warp for TOS ships again; remember Kirk's cruise to Vulcan at w 8 in "Amok Time"?

Maximum sustainable/cruise speed (yes, Stadi was just swallowing the dash): this can be maintained for mere hours, but is often enough to propel the ship to a nearby ship or system in distress. Warp 9.6 for the E-D, warp 9.975 for the Voyager (fresh from spacedock), TOS warp 9 for Kirk's old ship.

Maximum speed: a theoretical figure that, when transated to practice, tends to blow up the ship and can be maintained for mere minutes anyway. Warp 9.8 for the E-D, heaven knows for the Voyager, TOS warp 14+ for Kirk's old ship. Not sustainable in any sense of the word.

In any case, "sustainable" and "cruise" should be the same thing (ergo, by "dash hypothesis" above), with added definers for greater accuracy and clarity.

Other ideas? (read: You dare cross me on this?)

Timo Saloniemi

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Timo, I think that the above comment was an excellent way of putting things and makes perfet sense (to me).

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps