Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise D Cartography? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enterprise D Cartography?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I was right. I think it's a first. I'll hold to my opinion that this room was installed or upgraded at McKinley after the Borg attack then.

Dax: do you mean stardate 40789.32? 30789.32 would put it at least 3 years before the construction of the Ent D even began.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: Have you got the Blueprints? For some reason they do say 30789.32 which I'm thinking is in 2353. According to the Tech Manual, constuction of the Ent-D began in 2350. Even so, the ship was officially launched 40759.5 (2363) which is only just before the 40789.32 that you suggest. Could Sternbach have made a mistake with the Blueprint stardate, or did he intentionally make it start during construction?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dax: I do have the blueprints and the TNG:Tech Man but I haven't looked at either of them for a while. I thought the Tech man said the Ent D took seven years to construct, but I could be wrong. I think a 10 year construction time is a tad long although she was only the 3rd Galaxy class to be built according to the Tech Man. Some of the bugs in the construction process may have still been present.

I don't think we can say that the blueprints represent the ship from launch to the end of the series though. Contless small changes to the ship would've been made throughout it's lifetime. I think we can say that this is the way the ship looked close to the end of the series though. It's also clear that the blueprints were meant to represent the ship before Generations so we know that the Stellar Cartography display room was there for at least a while before Generations.

------------------

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TM gives a construction time of incredible 13 years (2350-2363). If this is true, Stardate 30xxx could be correct, but IMHO, 13 years are ridiculous.

------------------
"Take it from me: it's a lot more fun asking questions than answering them." (Garak)

USS Allegiance NCC-74813
http://davok.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TEL: They may have changed the sound of Picard's doorbell, but that's a huge leap to say that it means there was bio-neural circuitry on the E-D. It could simply mean that they uploaded new software into the computer, part of which included "Starfleet Computer Sounds, new version 3.5b", or something. Changing to a bio-neural system would have probably required stripping the ship of almost all its computer systems and putting in the new ones. This would be a major, major overhaul. I highly doubt they did that.

------------------
"'...This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!' cried the Spirit stretching out its hand towards the city. 'Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And abide the end!'"
-Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited December 22, 1999).]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: I've just noticed another note on the Blueprints that reads "Views incorporate Starfleet yard changes from stardate 40563.61 to 47312.78, plus authorized field repairs, replacements, upgrades, and equipment abandoned in place." So there you go.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

There we go indeed. You're the man Dax (or woman, depends on which lifetime I guess...)

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

I'm a guy, Aban. Michael Dax is my full name. Yes, Dax is my real surname.

------------------
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

[This message has been edited by Dax (edited December 23, 1999).]

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I htink that hte Enterprise had BNC installed, or anything, but i dont think that a major overhaul would be needed. A few supplementary BNCnodes around the cores and at critical data junctions would be needed IMO.

------------------
If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

My Stuff!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would Starfleet overhaul the entire Enterprise just to give the old man a new doorbell?
You wouldn't buy a new house, just because you didn't like the doorbell, would you?

------------------
"There will be an answer, let it be..."
Motto of the USS Sutherland

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps he just installed the latest version of Desktop Themes?

"Hmm...door chime 1...door chime 2...ooh, Futurama sounds!"

------------------
"The demon was an idea, the demon is awake. Scratch mark left across the surface of your mind. This hour now upon us, the hour has now arrived."
--
Soul Coughing

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be: Bridge Themes, by Microsoft. A completely new bridge layout, new sounds and a free Stellar Cartography included. Works only in Microsoft LCARS 2500

------------------
"There will be an answer, let it be..."
Motto of the USS Sutherland

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Hmmm, can I pick that up at best buy?

Actually, if any body has a WAV file of the current Starfleet doorchime I'd love to get it. Please email it to [email protected]

I'll use it as my mail sound =)

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Thanks to Popmaze for that righteous chime =)

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps