Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Size of the Freedom (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Size of the Freedom
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Bernd's site I found a chart with a Freedom Class of 430m long. That's if the nacelles are the same as a Galaxy. But on the ASDB site the Freedom is only half the size, some 213m. That's quite a difference.

The windows in the neck are 2m wide in the 430m model and 0.9m in the 213m model. I don't know what the standard is, but i thing 2m is a bit too wide.
I think the 213m model is the best.

------------------
"There will be an answer, let it be..."
Motto of the USS Sutherland

Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Freedom's design team must have been drunk when they designed the Freedom class. A large starship with only one nacelle? The idea is interesting but illogical.
By the way, I think the smaller measurement is more sound.

------------------
"The Founder is wise in all things..."
"We live to serve the Founders..."

[This message has been edited by Saboc (edited December 24, 1999).]

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you think about it - what is the ONLY unscalable part of the Freedom? We KNOW that the E-D Nacelles can coming in a few sizes and that saucer could be anything - sort of an Ambassador variant? The neck is of old pre refit constitution design!! We have only EVER seen one size for this part. has anyone bothered to scale the Freedom to fit this part?

Andrew

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if they useda neck from a kit, and the kit was at a different scale than the one(s) used for the other parts, it could be that it is a different size than a Constitution neck.

------------------
"'...This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!' cried the Spirit stretching out its hand towards the city. 'Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And abide the end!'"
-Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, but I'm talking about in the 'Trek Universe' - of course yeah they could have just used kits of different scales - but aren't we trying to get the TREK length? Also, I'm not saying they HAVEN'T rescaled the Constitution neck - its just that out of the parts that make up the Freedom - they only part we haven't seen as a variable and/or unknown scale is the constitution neck... oh on 'established classes' I mean... this is walking on eggshells but at least for the New Orleans and the Melbourne from Sisko's Office and Future Imperfect which both have Galaxy Nacelles smaller than the norm...

and that saucer could be ANYTHING... it looks Ambassadorish to me - generally it being roundish and having that Ambassador like smaller saucer-section shuttlebay.

Andrew

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

Laz1701
Ex-Member

Judging from the size of the windows, and the Constitution neck, I'd say the Freedom is about the same size as the old Saladin/Hermes classes.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: I don't think the saucer is round. I'm pretty sure it's elliptical, like a Galaxy. They probably used a nacelle from a large E-D kit, and a saucer from a small one.

------------------
"'...This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!' cried the Spirit stretching out its hand towards the city. 'Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And abide the end!'"
-Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you take a close look to the Freedom schematic, the neck doesn't look like a Constitution or Const. Refit neck at all. And even it it did, who says Starfleet actually used the *original* necks. Maybe they designed them again.

If the necks are real Const., than the Freedom is not much larger than the 418m model.

From www.shipschematics.net

[This message has been edited by Prakesh (edited January 07, 2000).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that the Freedom neck as depicted has decks twice as tall as the saucer. Since the saucer decks match roughly with the size Galaxy nacelle, I get 430m, while Lance took the neck decks and got 215 which is equally reasonable, since the smaller the more credible the ship would be. Lance assumes that the nacelles are the same size as those of the New Orleans.

There is no proof the neck is actually taken from the Constitution, we have only the information of Okuda's (in)famous slide show years ago on a convention. The BoBW scene shows only the top, and at least the saucer is exactly as depicted in the Fact Files.

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

That is one ugly ship.

------------------
"I promise you, Wilma, that not one man on this force will rest until the criminal scum that did this are behind bars. Now let's go get a bite to eat." - Frank Drebbin, Detective Lieutenant in Police Squad

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a frying pan. Or a mutant emu.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Of course, it might be intended to be a very fast ship, a courier or something. In that case, all that would be needed is a small space for the people to be in, and one huge warp engine. Form follows function...

------------------
"...more people buy Harry Potter novels than the works of Alexander Pope, but that's no measure of their quality."
-Tom Aylward-Nally, December 29, 1999

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one ugly design! They sure don't design 'em like they used to!
BTW, I thought that Roddenburry insisted that all starships had an EVEN number of nacelles? (including the non-canon ones)

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

[This message has been edited by The_Evil_Lord (edited January 07, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

There is a theory that the Galaxy Class nacelles are "two-in-one", because of the double lights in the ramscoops. That explains the Freedom class, but also the Niagara (3 nacelles).

------------------
So small,
So innocent, so young, So delicately done
Grown up in your poison.

"Little Baby Swastikkka"
-Skunk Anansie

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the award to the worst starship designed ever goes to the Freedom-class.

Where's the navigation deflector array on that thing?!

------------------
Calvin: "You don't think humans evolved from monkeys?"
Hobbes: "I sure don't see any difference."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps