Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ent-nil warp core(s)

Author Topic: Ent-nil warp core(s)
TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I warning you, that's a long post as always...

Does anyone have the Sci-Pub Tech poster with the cutaway of the original Enterprise? I know it's not canon, but it's the most recent work on the subject of the Ent-nil's internal configuration and it's not that bad. But I have a problem with the warp core(s).

I don't really know what TOS or the old blueprints say on the subject of a warp core or the equivalent, but the poster indicates that there are THREE reaction chambers, one below engineering (located in the secondary hull contrary to the old blueprints) and one in each nacelle. And the way they are all linked is perplexing indeed.

In the secondary hull, there's a matter tank and an anti-matter tank who are both linked to a dilithium chamber. Said chamber then has conduits leading to each nacelle. Up until now, it's consistant with established tech.

However, in each nacelle, the ram scoop is linked to a series of matter tanks who send matter to some kind of energy manifold and where the conduit from the dilithium chamber lead. There are also anti-matter tanks leading to the energy manifold.

I like the idea of a warp core for each nacelle, but then WHAT is the point of having one in the ship itself and THEN link it to the engines? That's redundancy for ya.

It could be that the main one's for energy generation but also acts as a failsafe in case the engines fail but then it could easily serve for the whole ship unless warp cores back then weren't really safe so they didn't push them too hard, limiting their power output.

What do you think?

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Sonic the Hedgehog*

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps