Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Hull breaches and SIF

Author Topic: Hull breaches and SIF
TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TNG Tech Manual said the Structural Integrity Field keeps the ship in one piece by reinforcing the structural framing. The ST:Mag (although not canon) had an interesting theory that said that SIF are responsible for containing hull breach with force field. That would explain why breaches like the one on the bridge of VOY in "Year of Hell" can be contained without losing any atmospheric integrity. It would also explain why ships these days are a lot more resistant to torpedoes (remember, in TNG a single torpedo could destroy an entire ship and emit radiation within a fairly large radius). The Mag says that at full power, the SIF can contain the explosion of a photon torpedo. That would explain why Jem'Ha'Dar fighter can take up to 4 or 5 quantum torpedoes before biting the dust.

Until something canon is mentionned, I'll stick with it .

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Sonic the Hedgehog*

IP: Logged
Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's definitely the way it is, yes.
(I'll add this to my "Stuff We Agree On"-page) :-)

------------------
USS Allegiance LCARS Database

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree too. My only remark is that if a hull breach occurs, the SIF has to be re-enforced, which may take a second, and "allows" Harry Kim and Jim Kirk to be sucked/blown into space. I remember dialogues such as "forcefields in place" (Generations?). If the SIF were that strong all the time, there might be no hull breach at all. ;-)

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")

TerraZ
Ex-Member

Well, it's not really the energizing but reacting to the breach itself that takes time. The Mag says the SIF can contain a torpedo explosion only if the incoming vector (and type) of torpedo is known, so it could react instantaneously once it knows where and when and how much. In Harry's case, the breach occured all of a sudden so the computer needed a few seconds to locate and seal it.

------------------
*Brannon Braga*

*Sonic the Hedgehog*

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the hull is damaged on a certain deck, it is likely that the SIF also stops working on that deck, so field generators from the deck above and beyond would have to step in (which takes time).

------------------

TerraZ
Ex-Member

That's right, I hadn't thought of that. What's sure is the SIF is never quick enough if someone has to die... while they activated pretty fast to allow Janeway a dying quote in "Year of Hell"...

------------------
*Brannon Braga*

*Sonic the Hedgehog*

Davok
Member # 143

Star Trek was always dangerous for innocent security officers...

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps