Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » e nil engineering location tos

Author Topic: e nil engineering location tos
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The vital clue to the location of the engineering deck in the e nil in tos is seen briefly in "the enemy within". The clue is the ceiling. For those with dvd, the chapter is number 4. this clue places the engineering deck in the upper forward two decks of the secondary hull, between the neck and the nacelles. the area behind the grillwork is the section between the nacelles. and the hangar deck is immediately aft of this section.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a thread on this ages ago. The generally accepted location was actually in the saucer section, at the back. Through the mesh on the wall were the impulse engines. Evidence cited from
"The Doomsday machine",(Scotty seen working on "impulse engines" through the mesh,
"Day of the Dove", Engineering acessible while 400 people trapped in "lower decks"
and the "Making of Star Trek" book which features a large area in its cross-section image at the location in the saucer.

It's probable the engineering was moved during the pre-TMP refit. There was probably more evidence, but i am tired today and cannot remember.

------------------
Gene: "I AM Star Trek"
Yvonne: "You can't sum yourself up in so small a package."
Gene: "SMALL?!!"

- Gene Roddenberry: The Last Conversation

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still interested - what is the hint in "The Enemy Within"? A label or sign somewhere? A glimpsed cutaway drawing? A curved shape of the ceiling?

While there are hints in TOS that engineering was in the saucer, other hints exist for a secondary hull location. The energy entity in "Day of the Dove" leaves engineering through the secondary hull skin, as seen in an exterior view. Turbolifts run vertically inordinately long to reach engineering (although sometimes a trip from bridge to deck 2 can take an eternity, too!). Not only impulse power but also warp power is manipulated through the engineering facility. And Scotty does go "down to engineering" when he leaves his bridge station.

Timo Saloniemi

colin
Member # 217

the ceiling is curved.

------------------

Laz1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The easiest answer is that both locations are correct. While it's generally accepted that the engineering deck we saw most of the time on TOS was located adjacent to the impulse engines, there is probably another engineering deck in the secondary hull, just as there is a duplicate bridge there as well.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "duplicate bridge" we saw in "The Doomsday Machine" didn't really look identical to the main bridge, though. It was just the briefing room set redressed. And don't tell me this was because it was identical to the main bridge of the Constellation!

There could of course be two or more engineering stations on the ship, but it seems awfully odd that the "impulse engineering" station would feature the dilithium crystal holder thingamabob in the middle of the floor - or that the "warp engineering" station would have the same tubes behind the red grille that are associated with the impulse engine in some episodes.

Having the engineering in its ST:TMP location would help keep that refit a bit less extensive. Having it in the saucer aft rim would help explain why Khan was able to cut off "lower decks" yet preserve access to engineering (although one could also say that the diagram next to the turbolift, with color-coded interiors, shows us that there was a narrow region running through the vessel and isolated from the rest of the ship).

Timo Saloniemi

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me for not remembering the source, but I know I've seen the secondary hull referred to somewhere as the "engineering hull." Wouldn't that seem to indicate that main engineering was located there?

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's what it's called now. But, if they called that in TOS, also, we might have something. But I doubt they did.

------------------
"If you attempt to return the device to the store, and you are missing one single peanut, the store personnel will laugh in the chilling manner exhibited by Joseph Stalin just after he enslaved Eastern Europe."

colin
Member # 217

There was no duplicate bridge in the "Doomsday Machine". The room with Kirk is the auxiliary control room.

------------------

Laz1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right, it was the auxiliary control room.

I looked at my tape of "The Enemy Within", and there are two shots of the evil Kirk as he crouches atop some machinery. The camera shoots up at him, and you can see the ceiling - and it indeed is curved. It looks like the top of the secondary hull.

Also, in the previous scene, Spock asks Kirk where he'd hide to elude a mass search, and Kirk answers, "The lower levels. The engineering deck." Obviously, lower levels must refer to the secondary hull and not the saucer. We could interpret his statement as meaning the engineering deck that is located in the lower levels... not that the only engineering deck on the ship is located there.

The engineering deck where they search for the evil Kirk looks quite different from the engineering section used in the second and third seasons, which was much larger and had an upper level. I would postulate that the larger section with the upper level is located in the saucer adjacent to the impulse engines, while the other is down in the secondary hull.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps