Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Torpedo Warheads... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Torpedo Warheads...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few questions:

1. How many types of photon/quantum torpedo warheads are there?

2. I presume the warhead's effects are primarily heat, blast, and radiation. Are there other effects?

3. Are quantum torpedoes noticeably more effective (on screen) than photon torpedoes?

4. Are they primarily a short-ranged or long-ranged weapon?

Just curious.

--Baloo

------------------
"Politicians and diapers should be changed regularly, for the same reason."
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. There are 2 kinds of torpedoes: The Quantum Torpedoes (recently developed by starfleet and much more powerful) and Photon torpedoes (older, weeker but they are used everywhere 'cause they still pack a punch)

2.I don't know much about that but i know that radiation isn't one of the effects but heat and blast certanly are...

3. Yes, Quantum torpedoes are more powerful

4. Short ranged. Because they can be easily avoided at long ranges...

Just trying to help...

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often wonder if torpedoes are effective at all, considering the six it took to destroy the JH bug in "Valiant." Have we ever seen photons or quantums destroy anything with known properties?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't remember stuff." - John Linnell

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: Heat and Blast mostly

2: I believe that the Torpedo warheads can be switched with sensor pods and such. Heat and Blast mostly

3: I really dont know much about Quantum Torps but by what I see in First Contact and such Quantums produce a larger BOOM then photons , I do know that the Soverign has a Quantum Torp Turret that can fire mutiple torps at a time and the Defiant can fire four at a time.

4: Short to mid Range

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"

Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research & Development

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited January 19, 2000).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we want to count all projectile-weapons in modern Trek there's "high-yield warheads" and the good 'ole Tri-Cobalt device too.

I'm sure the early fight in Valiant was designed primarily to look good, it wouldn't be the same if the Valiant killed the bug just by blowing at it.
But if you want "canon" reasons, we can say that the Valiant-gunner couldn't aim for shit and scored a vital hit with the last volley only.
A good example of the quantum's abilities is in "Defiant" when Tom Riker dropped three pairs of quantum's on a Galor-class, pretty much disabling it.

What I REALLY would like to know is how the torpedo changes by adjusting it's spread. I recall hearing .75 spread and full spread. They mentioned it as early as in TNG, so someone must know SOMETHING!!

------------------
Somehow we're going somewhere.

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A photon torpedo explosion should emit some radiation because gamma radiation is a byproduct of matter/antimatter reactions.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

bonecrusher
Ex-Member

I agree with shadow, the tactical officer was novice, the defiant could blow one away with a single Qtorp. The valiant crew sucked that's why, refers to ST 6 "I shall blow you out of the stars" to show why they sucked and even Janeway isnt stupid enough to attack a ship 100X bigger than you!!!

------------------
"I Got two words for you.. S*uck it!"-DeGeneration X
Oh Hell Ya there back!

Bonecrusher
http://members.xoom.com/smartiee

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, you're sort of disagreeing with me. IIRC, we saw the torpedoes hit the ship in "Valiant."

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't remember stuff." - John Linnell

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but it depends upon where the torps hit. If you hit the warp core, ka-blammo! If you hit the holodeck, all you do is piss people off. :-)

Nimrod: I believe "spread" refers to a group of torps all fired together. A "full spread" means that they cover as much area as possible. If you want to concentrate your fire in a smaller area, you used a lower spread.

------------------
"If you attempt to return the device to the store, and you are missing one single peanut, the store personnel will laugh in the chilling manner exhibited by Joseph Stalin just after he enslaved Eastern Europe."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more question (Canon answers only please):

Is the blast wave of a photon torpedo spherical or not?

--Baloo

------------------
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't seen one yet. The Klingons hit the Grissom with a torpedo-like weapon in STIII and cause a basically spherical blast, but that's not a very well controlled experiment on photorp blast patterns... In other cases, the things splash against shields or explode completely inside cavities or starships, mangling the blast pattern beyond recognition. I doubt we have ever seen a true free-space detonation...

...Except, waitaminit, "Resolutions". And even there it was an antimatter pod exploding, not just a torpedo. And perhaps "Changeling" where the TOS-era torp hits the tiny Nomad instead of a big starship - the patterns in both cases seem largely symmetrical, but with big flashes of light, one can't tell very well...

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it isn't really a matter of canon, now is it?

But you know, I don't know whether we've actually seen a torpedo explode like that, Baloo. We usually just get the generic flame (!?).

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we in THESE days can create explosives with guided blast-angles I hope the torp's of modern Trek detonate in a guided blast, with most of the energy continuing against it's target when it hits, Otherwise it's a big waste of juice with 50% of the blast dissapating in space.

For example, when the Ent-E blew the borg sphere up in the beginning of FC, the quantums seemed to just sink into the sphere, before causing a shipwide collapse.
That CAN be interpreted as a sign that SF-torpedos form their blast as a lance, penetrating the shields and hull if it's weakened enough, and work in a general, armour-piercing fashion.
I'm sure there are examples that contradict this, but hey, if there weren't thinkers, were would we be today?
Wait, don't answer that last entry.

------------------
Somehow we're going somewhere.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Nimrod: That's what I was getting at. Is it canon that torpedoes have "shaped" charges (or at least focussed blast effects) or was the above speculation. When I viewed the "First Contact" footage, it does not seem absolutely certain that the explosions are shaped, so much as directed by the framework of the cube. There's room for interpretation, in other words.

Has anything been seen (especially spoken) on-screen about this? A future VIVA LAS VEGAS entry may be in the making if there is nothing definitive on the subject.

--Baloo

------------------
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

I heard that a quantum torpedo type 2 has been developed and the ENT-E has been fitted with them...
Is that true?
how many types of quantums are there?
there are nine types of photons as far as i know....

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps