Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » sorry but I have to post this up

Author Topic: sorry but I have to post this up
Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the construction time of starships, some of us were wayyyy wrong. I just read the STMagazine where there was an article about the Galaxy-class. It said that the frame ALONE took 5 years to be completed. So, this means that in order to construct a Galax from scratch will require at least 10 years...right?

------------------
"...nothing unreal exists..."

IP: Logged
Marko Latin
Ex-Member

isn't that a bit too long?
i mean if that's right...if you start building a galaxy today when you finish it'll be an outdated piece of metal...

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starships can be upgraded. If it takes 10 years of the building process to build the ship, the latest computer and weapons tech can still be installed whent he time comes.

The TNG Tech Man has said for a long time now that the Enterprise D took about 13 years to build. Yes it does seem a bit long, but at least the inconsistancies are staying consistant

And Marko, the operational lifetime for a Galaxy Class is about 100 years. I'd hardly call them outdated 10 years from now.
------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited January 21, 2000).]

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that Starfleet can cut the time of producing the Galaxy Class in half now. I'm sure new methods of fabricating materials and construction protocols were updated in light of the Dominion War.

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps, originally, all Galaxies were constructed manually. By now, since it's apparent that the ships are being mass-produced, there should be automated facilites that can do most of the work much faster.

------------------
"Voyager is not true. If it were true, the ship would not look spick-and-span every week, after all these battles it goes through. How many times has the bridge been destroyed? How many shuttlecrafts have vanished, and another one just comes out of the oven? That kind of bullshitting the audience I think takes its toll."
-Ronald D. Moore

Saboc
Ex-Member

Taking 5 years just to build a spaceframe is the most current time period. (I got this from the StarTrek Magazine).

------------------
"...nothing unreal exists..."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps