Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » shuttlecraft or possible starship?

Author Topic: shuttlecraft or possible starship?
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im rather new to this forum, so forgive me if I�m asking something already discussed.
I was wondering, in the book "The art of star trek", this picture of what is called a shuttle is shown: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/star-trek/liberator67016.jpg
The ship is called USS Liberator NCC 67016. However, even though the book says that this is a shuttle apperently seen as wreckage in the battle at wolf 359, it has it�s own name and registry number. The model is obviously a type 7. But what is this? Was it
meant to be a new type of starship, or what? I thought shuttles didn�t have that type of name or number.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, using the information from the picture, it's shuttlecraft 07, named the Kotoi, and is assigned to the U.S.S. Liberator, NCC-67016, class unknown.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking at the actual picture from the book, so that's how I can tell. It's much clearer and bigger than that.

Oh, an BTW, welcome to the forums!

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this was a rather cool little insert in the graveyard scene of Best of Both Worlds I believe. They distressed a toy of the shuttle and actually used one of the Data figures. This is barely if at all visible in the footage. However, it does give us the name of another starship, the Liberator!

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it could be shuttle 07 named the Kotoi. However, I have never seen a shuttle with the NCC-registration of the mothership before. The tos shuttle galileo at least had ncc 1701/7 as registration. The USS Liberator isn�t listed in the st:e by the way.
Was it seen??? Do you have the footage?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All shuttles have had the registry number of the mother ship. Ever shuttle seen in TNG had 1701-D on the hull. Same goes for Voyager, with NCC-74656 on the hull.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That seems to be standard practice so that other ships don't go around stealing shuttles.
Anyway welcome to the Forums.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Yup, now that I have had a chance to check out everything that looks like a good explanation. The USS Liberator, anyone heard anything about it?
(And thanks for welcoming me.....)

------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be surprised if the name USS Liberator came up in the future. I looked for the name of that Oberth Class seen from Sisko's quarters during the evacuation of the Saratoga. Isn't it named Copernicus? Anyway, I found out the name and registry from an outside source.

The registry of the Liberator makes me think it's another Nebula Class starship blown up by the Borg.

------------------
Show me the meaning of being lonely
Is this the feeling, I need to walk in
Tell me why I can't be there where you are
There's something missing in my heart

-Backstreet Boys

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Oberth was the Bonestell, NCC-31600, IIRC.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Liberator a Nebula, eh? The first in a long line of exploded Nebulae... :-)

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps