Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » armament on different Starships?

Author Topic: armament on different Starships?
nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking at various websites on the types of phasers installed and i was wondering how come a runabout can have type-X phasers but is ineffective against large ships but ships like Nova Class ships do not have type-X phasers but have type VI instead. Finally, do the Akira, Saber, Steamrunner, Norway have quantum or photon torpedoes?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beware-ith what thou readeth on websites!

Almost all the info on websites about starship stats is complete fiction. The only somewhat official stats we have on stuff like that comes from the various tech manuals and even they aren't always right.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And as for the weapon stats you cite:

Nothing is really known of the type of phasers carried by runabouts or Nova class ships, since no episode has mentioned these details. The armament of Akira, Norway etc. is also left unspecified in the actual episodes. Some Paramount-approved books might have bits of "info", but even that's just speculation. Especially the DS9 Tech Manual gives some "specs" for the Akira, the Norway and the Saber that are nothing more than a collection of typos and editing errors...

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like they said, the stats you read were probably the product of the sites' owners' imaginations. However, to address your question of how it could be possible, let's assume an hypothetical situation in which asmall ship w/ type-X phasers is less effective thn a larger ship w/ lower type phasers. Bear in mind that type-X phasers are designed to be arrnaged in a strip. The emitters at the ends of the strip charge up, pass their energy to the next emitters which do the same, and so on. Eventually, you have the power of the entire phaser strip (possibly hundreds of emitters) all firing in a single beam. However, a small ship can only hold so many emitters. If its strips are only ten emitters long, it would have much less powerful beams than a ship whose strips are a hundred emitters long. It is even possible that these small strips would be less powerful than, say, a type-VI emitter.

Of course, it also depends upon how well the tactical officer can aim... :-)

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like phaser strips that are built in a circular form, like the Galaxies and the Enterprise-E. Those side ones that don't join in the front, like on Intrepids and Novas are annoying. I like to see ships fire forward, and not have to come up beside it to fire.
Pulse-phaser cannons are a blast too. They blend the boringness of phasers with the quick blasts of a torpedo. It's so exhilerating to see the Defiant pop a Jemmie ship in half with only a few shots!
-------------
What do you say we end this war?
-Captain Benjamin Sisko

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps