Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Husnock ship or ships?

Author Topic: Husnock ship or ships?
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read in star trek fact files that in the episode where we get to see the husnock starship, (I forget which episode..) the ship first appears, then leaves only to reappear again later. Furthermore, Riker apparently says upon it�s return that the ship looks different, more menacing. Is this true? Does two versions of the husnock ship exist, and has anybody got screencaps?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have screencaps, but I do seem to remember that the ship indeed got additional "prongs" with its second appearance. Don't the Fact Files specificially say that the ventral prong was added, and the lower forward hull expanded?

I'm hunting on Husnock ship pictures myself, to check out if this same ship was later modified into the Jovis in "The Most Toys", and then into the Cardassian/Bajoran transport often seen in TNG and DS9. Let's see what I can find...

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://frankg.dgne.com/etc/husnock1.jpg http://frankg.dgne.com/etc/husnock2.jpg http://frankg.dgne.com/etc/husnock3.jpg http://frankg.dgne.com/etc/husnock4.jpg

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aargh! Frank, you really need to do a complete list of the contents of your treasure chest!

The pics here seem to be of the second encounter. Do you know which details were added from the first encounter?

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of these days I'll create some sort of catalog, actually...there are something like 400 images online.

Anyway, that's all I have...I'm not sure what the ship initially looked like.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Frank, thanks for the pics, they all look alike to me. All the pics I have are the same as well...

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was modified to become the Bajoran ship, among others, that was quite an extensive modification. Or so it appears to my untrained eye. The basic body shape is the same, at least when viewed from the front and slightly above. But the other views...

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... I would not want to see the Feds at war with those guys ("They fired over 400 gigawatts of particle energy..." - Worf) had they not been wiped out by that Douwd dude. Anyone remember what that vessel's shields could take?

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Timo
Member # 245

Given how the faceted shields looked very much like early Borg personal shields, I'd be very, very afraid.

As for whether the ship was modified into the Bajoran nacelleless transport, I think Frank's third picture, from aft quarter, settles the issue. The engine configuration is identical to those of Fajo's Jovis and the Bajoran ship that tends to hang in the upper pylon of DS9.

While the rest of the ship was so heavily modified that one suspects the stern was simply sawn off and glued to a new ship, there is a certain similarity there when one looks from below. In "Shadows and Symbols", the impulse ship fleet scene gives us a glimpse of the lower bow of the Bajoran transport, and it's rather similar to this one save for an added flat bow thingamabob (cattle plough against spaceborne lifeforms?)

In any case, kudos to the modelmakers for making the Husnock ship, the Jovis and the Bajoran transport look almost but not quite completely unlike each other. Many other models have been camouflaged much more poorly.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that Talerian Plague/Refugee ship - then the Zalkonian? John Doe's people's ship then even a Vidiian's SHIP!

Andrew

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A "cattle plough against spaceborne lifeforms"? *Comicbook Store Guy speak* "Once again, my underwear has become entangled in a cowcatcher..."

Anyway, I wish the Husnock hadn't been totally wiped out like that. I would have liked to have seen more of these ships (and I don't mean modified to be "completely different" ships...).

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps