Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oh crap... ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Oh crap... ($$$)
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. There is nothing in that letter which leads me to conclude that the new Defiant's registry includes an 'A.'

The 'same' registry means that neither the numbers would change NOR would any suffix be added.

I don't know about the NX-NCC, as I don't really remember if they ever changed it on the original.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we can safely assume that "NX-74205" is merely what was painted on the hull, and has no bearing on the ship's "actual" registry. (Of course, in my personal registry theory, the ship could be called "NCC-74205-A" if Sisko so desired. But, since that isn't what was painted on the hull, "NX-74205" probably means absolutely nothing.)

As for only the E's getting suffixed... Does anyone else realize how utterly nonsensical that would be? I mean, what happens when another ship name gets two or three really good captains? "Sorry, we'd love to honor your ship's name, but only the Enterprise gets suffixed. You can have a coffee mug, though..." Or what happens if they put a total buffoon in command of an Enterprise (*cough*Harriman*cough*), and it doesn't noticeably deserve the suffix? Can they not take it away, because it's an E? It's just totally illogical.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm.. How is the recycling of registry numbers going to "honor" anybody? It's like naming one's child 3-A in honor of that great early US President, President 3! Or 22-F, in honor of that great basketball player 22 from Chicago Bulls.

Old ships get honored when their names are given to new ships. Old ships get insulted when their registries are given to new ships. It's a lucky thing that it's mainly (or only) the Enterprises who have to suffer from this humiliation.

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree, actually...I think people place too much significance in the registries.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I never said that the reuse of registries made sense to begin with. But we know for a fact that Starfleet does it. To assume that they would do it for only one name of ship doesn't make any sense. Especially since it requires one to explain away the Yamato and Relativity.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't assume they do it for only the Enterprise, but it's not as if the Defiant/S�o Paulo is as deserving as the Enterprise, anyway, in my opinion...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Why would the Enterprise deserve it, either? It's a chunk of metal that flies around in space and keeps the people inside from being torn apart by the vacuum. A ship doesn't deserve anything. It's the crew that does. Are you saying that Sisko's crew is that much worse than Kirk's or Picard's?

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally thought the Yorktown that Tuvok's father served on was NCC-1717-A, for lack of any other registry.

------------------
"To start, press any key. Where's the 'any' key?
-Homer Jay Simpson

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it the crew that deserves the award of having the registry immortalised or the crew's accomplishments? The latter, IMO. For all I care, the crew of the Grissom could've been the best crew ever, but they didn't get around to much that we saw, did they...? The Defiant, compared to the Enterprise didn't get around to as much, that we saw or heard of.

I'm not saying anyone's crew is worse than someone else's. That's a rather odd twist on my words, IMO. I'm saying that the crews (April through Kirk) of the Enterprise seem to have had a greater impact on the course of Earth/the Federation's history and knowledge than the Defiant.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, if not for the DS9 crew (also the crew of the Defiant), the Feds may not have won the Dominion War. I'd call that significant...

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Defiant crew performed missions that was crucial for the federation and that was their ship was honoured with an -A. The excelsior would probably get one if another ship ws made.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

But the Dominion War wasn't won before the new Defiant got the old registry.

They may have done significant things, but few were as significant as what the TOS crew(s) did, IMO, with the exception of Sisko preventing the Dominion invasion in "SoA" (although, all things considered, that was simply because he was hand-picked by the Prophets). How many times did Kirk save the Federation or Earth?

All I'm saying is that I consider the TOS crews' impact on the Federation more significant than the second Defiant's crew.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, Sisko started the Dominion War too. Maybe they just called it even.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Well, he started it under orders from Starfleet.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. Though I'll wager I'm thinking of an even earlier event then you.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps