Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Variants during the Dominion War

Author Topic: Starship Variants during the Dominion War
nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been looking at the six variants from the ds9 technical manual and apart from these ships being very ugly and look like if they held together by superglue or something. Is it just me but aren't starfleet getting desparate using these ships? Like the Constitution Class Variant is based on a ship that was mothballed 80 years ago and if the design could not hack it then I do not think it will be able to meet the requirements now.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very existance of these ships is conjectural in the worst way!! To quote Kirk: "Don't believe them!" The writers of the book simply made up these ships as fillers. We've never seen them and IMO, they don't exist. See some of the other archived threads on this topic for more heated arguments on "kitbashed" ships.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My approach is as follows:

If I don't see them, I don't believe they exist.

If I see them, I could find an explanataion why this very ship could be useful for a special purpose. Starfleet doesn't build kitbashes (should I make this my signature?), let alone cannon fodder.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really recognize the DS9 kitbashes either , but Starfleet does build kitbashes...lol

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: A while back you posted a Saber class MSD, do you think I could borrow it as a template for one I am building with flash.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the only kitbashes seen are the Centaur and Shelley. I have no idea where there came up with those other ones. The entire starship section was simply added to help sell the book.

------------------
"...and if frogs could fly; well we'd still have this problem, but wouldn't it be cool?" - Drew Carey
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's the Yeager, too.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without really wishing to revisit the whole kitbashing topic again, I feel obliged to point out once again that the only aspect of the Shelley Class, Centaur Type and Yeager Class which fit the term kitbashing are the physical models that the creators used to film the scenes. In the Star Trek universe, scale considerations make it impossible for these ships to have been slapped together from various spare parts off other classes. They were designed as unique classes using similar design elements as other ships contemporary to their time of design.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here! Here! Aban!

------------------
Navigator-"Heading, Sir?"
Kirk-"Out there...somewhere...out thatta-way."--Star Trek: TMP

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

*bows humbly to the gracious audiance*

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bear: You may take the Saber MSD (is it still there?), but it's not my creation. It's probably from the old UP (Chris Gough).

Aban: I couldn't agree more. :-)

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps