Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ships of "Court-Martial" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ships of "Court-Martial"
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the 16**-numbers are right, are these ships upgrades of other classes? And when "yes" what classes? Baton Rouge-Class or something other? Has anyone information about the Baton Rouge-Class?

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no canon Baton Rouge Class, so I couldn't help ya

As for why there are lower registries, simple, the USS Constitution NX-900 or so, which some people seem to deny for one reason or another. The USS Constitution NCC-1700 is merely the 2nd ship to bear the name in that class.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited March 17, 2000).]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with that is that it's never been confirmed or denied that NCC-1700 was in fact the class ship or not. It is only assumed to be because of the even number, it bears the name Constitution (which the class name has been confirmed on screen while before it was only conjectural), and is the closest numbered ship to the Enterprise.

To summarize, there is no definite answer to why a few Constitution class ships are lower than 1700.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Laz1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding upgrades from other classes, tech fandom postulates that both the Constellation (NCC-1017) and the Republic (NCC-1371) were upgraded to Constitution specs from Archon class.

Archon Class

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's nonsense. If you made that ship into a Constitution, what would even be left of the original? You'd essentially be building a new ship. That's not an upgrade.

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the Archon-Class canon or not. It doesn't appear in Star Trek, does it?

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go to the starship names thread in this section to see my explanation on registries, it explains away the early registries for constitution class and even that early ambassador etc.

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

The "Pacificnet-Ship-Library" is very good. But some links to ship-classes don't work. Will these classes go online in the future? It gives only one ship of a class. Where can I get a list with all ships of a class?

------------------

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Archon-class is NOT canon. Personally, I think one should post which classes are not canon when you are a webmaster, so as to help us ignorants :-)

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Laz1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be nonsense, but *I* didn't come up with it. I'm just passing along what tech fandom postulates.

As for the ships on my site which bring up the "Temporarily Offline" graphic, these are ships I intend to add to the site but which I haven't yet drawn. Eventually, all of these will be added, but in the meantime, their names linked to the "Temporarily Offline" graphic are there as placeholders.

Of course, by the time I add them all to the site, there'll be new ships I'll have to draw.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Archon class as such has a dubious history. Was it a SFB creation, or FASA? In any case, USS Archon of TOS "Return of the Archons" was supposed to be the class ship of this class, which is both an unnecessary coincidence and not good timeline-wise. Ditto for the Horizon class.

But IIRC, the Horizon/Archon classes were never graphically represented in the original material - the funny picture with rescaled Daedalus components probably isn't true to the original intentions of the people who wrote the text. The Archon class could have existed, perhaps with a secondary hull identical to that of the later Constitutions but with slightly different engines, and with a flat sphere instead of a saucer as the primary hull. She'd still meet the requirements of the original text, but would be an acceptable predecessor for the Constitutions.

Just say that the TOS USS Archon was really of Daedalus class, and the Archon class was created to honor that ship (but the new USS Archon never did anything very significant). Then the noncanon and canon timelines will intermix just fine.

Timo Saloniemi

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Baton Rouge class was one of the ships designed by Rick Sternbach for the "Spaceflight Chronology" published around 1980. It was the direct predecessor of the Constitution class. Definitely noncanon.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps