Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miradorn/Orion/Gambit

Author Topic: Miradorn/Orion/Gambit
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, remember Ah-Kel and Ro-Kel's Miradorn Raider from season 1 of DS9... it also made an appearence in Gambit 1 and 2.

OK, I was looking at this TAS page and look at this Orion ship... they look VERY similar!
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/3751/Orion.html
http://www.decipher.com/startrek/cardlists/deepspacenine/images/miradornraider.gif

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, vaguely. But, then, it's the Orion ship's front view which resembles the later ship's top view. And it's not like it's a very unlikely design, anyway. I'd say it's just a coincidence...

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, but - thhhepppppptttttt! spoil sport Hey, its pretty close though - and remember it would be like comparing the E to the E-E or Voyager - there will be some differences... The thing is funny how that the TOS one is orion pirates and the ship from Gambit are pretty much pirates too...

Andrew

------------------
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but... The Miradorn aren't. :-)

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

AhA! but Ah-Kel and Ro-Kel were shift Miradorn smugglers who had dealings with quark... AND the Orion Syndicate is made up of many species - as we have seen... I reckon that the Orion Syndicate and the Orion Pirates are similar or the same...

I think the Miradorn from "Vortex" were smugglers or what ever and same with Baran in Gambit - they all were pretty shifty.

------------------

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contrary to the information provided on the Decipher Card for the Miradorn Raider, this ship has a class. The class is Theta and the ship was identified this way by the USS Ganges computer in the episode "Vortex".

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Miradorn ship was more specifically identified as a Theta class raider. "Raider" isn't a very PC word, and does hint at nasty things like piracy.

I do like the idea that the "Gambit" and "Vortex" ships in fact are Orion in origin, and shared among fellow pirates. After all, the four-tentacled design is very distinct, to contradict TSN... It would be nice to have such an explanation for the commonality. And if we discount the exact identification of the Orion Wanderer on those TNG screens, we have never seen an Orion ship that WOULDN'T be tentacled in design.

Orions in fanfic are not only interstellar pirates with their tentacles everywhere, but also the sad remains of a once-powerful empire. Such an old empire would nicely explain why the ships are present in various remote regions of space (even in the Delta quadrant, if somebody hasn't permanently killfiled all references to VOY "Favorite Son" by now!).

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Orion ships in the alpha or beta, gamma, and delta quadrants? I seriously doubt that a band of pirates, even a rather large and nasty band of pirates, spread quite that far...

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Hey, there's a possibility of a ship being in the delta Q. The Caretaker - badlands is a good place for 'pirates'/'smugglers' etc to hide. Plus how long had the Caretaker been pulling ships through... and not just from the Badlands.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps