Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 2? New? WOLF 359 ships...

Author Topic: 2? New? WOLF 359 ships...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I was just looking at the excellent screen caps at the Copernicus ship yards... anyway, I was looking at the first two in the 'Riker Row'

click these two links first and then flip back and forth... you can see in the top left of the view screen a nacelle and a sliver of another ship in the bottom right - the next frame... the disappear.

What are these ships? can anyone link them up to the other 'shots' on other rows?

frame 1:
http://www.auricom.net/Copernicus/screencaps/images/2_1.jpg

frame 2:
http://www.auricom.net/Copernicus/screencaps/images/2_2.jpg

What do you think

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically, it could be anything!
Here's the same scene, but a bit clearer:1_12

The top left ship is probably the Excelsior study model or the Springfield class USS Checkov, according to Timo. The other one, I don't really know. It could be just a purpose-built piece of wreckage or some kind of Nebula. It is certainly not the Rigel, because Okuda and others have confirmed that there is/was no design and model ever made for it.

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, here the pic of a Excelsior study model that probably is in the scene:

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep - thanks I think that the top left is that excel variant seen in your other picture...

although it doesn't look like that debris - the bottom right - is probably it too... not much you can tell from a straight line...

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the same ship model has been photographed multiple times for a single scene, then we obviously have to assume there were at least two vessels of that class present in the battle. But what about ships in different scenes?

The "Shelby scene" shows a New Orleans ship identified as the Kyushu tumbling in a certain way across the viewscreen. The following scene shows the E-D turning to starboard (if it's not just the camera moving) and moving ahead, and now a New Orleans is seen in a rather different position in a different kind of slow tumble. Even if the damage on both ships is identical, might it not be that the latter ship is not the Kyushu but another NO entirely? The same might go for the three-nacelled ship that doesn't seem to be in a rapid enough tumble to sufficiently change position and orientation from the "Shelby scene" to the "flying through debris" scene.

This would be a relatively painless way to multiply the number of at least partially identified ships in the battle. It would also flesh out these rarely (once!) seen classes. Of course, a lot of worms would wriggle out of that can - could we ever trust a ship to remain the same from shot to shot if we don't clearly see her registry and name in each scene?

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

I think the crew didn't care that much about the precise position and 'tumbling-ness'.

------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it seems a bit strange that there would be two ships of the same class w/ absolutley identical damage done to them. Especially twice. Perhaps the reason that the ships' positions seem to have changed so much is that there is a small "gap" in time. Perhaps, when they are looking at the viewscreen, and when we see the E-D moving through the debris, are not at exactly the same time. The three-naceller is horizontal on the viewscreen, but they don't show the exterior shot until a later time (or even an earlier time?) when the ship has rotated into a vertical position.

------------------
me: "I need a new sig..."
CC: "Well create one."
-why I don't have a real signature

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps