Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Defiant SciPubTech poster (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Defiant SciPubTech poster
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Total ripoff of the DS9TM blueprints. We can only guess that the text will be a total ripoff of the DS9TM as well. That seems to be the general trend nowdays - earlier we had conflicting sizes, but at least we had discussion and thought placed into whatever materials were published. Nowdays, everybody seems to be copying the DS9TM.

Boris

------------------

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited May 09, 2000).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When was this image published? I recall Chris Gough sending me something very similar to that image you have posted well before the DS9 tm was released. You may have the copying thing around backwards

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is copied the right word, Boris? I mean, this is all fictional of course, but the design of the Defiant is either correct or it isn't.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, maybe adapting would be more accurate. My complaint is just that they used a single source, whereas accuracy could've been improved by going beyond the DS9TM. If the single source were the final word on the Defiant, it wouldn't be a problem, but it isn't.

Technically, the drawing isn't problematic - after all, Drexler explicitly states that it is current to stardate 53142 or something, which is past the end of the DS9 show. It seems very likely that the DS9TM actually represents the renamed and reregistered Sao Paulo, its quantum launchers removed and replaced with targetting sensors.

Boris

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I can see TWO shuttles in there!

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they removed the launchers then what did they use in WYLB? Strawberry jam? Or did they do a 180 every time and used the aft ones?

------------------
I'm not an atheist, I'm a maybeist�

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair: Actually, the Defiant Class holds three shuttles.

IMHO, this goes above and beyond the DS9TM. That drawing looks fantastic!! I also agree that the layout and what not of the Defiant is pretty much Public Domain when it comes to stuff like this. It can't really be considered plagiarism for putting things in the right place.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Altair meant that he can actually see two shuttles on the drawing. He knows the Defiant holds three shuttles, but see two of the them.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a shuttle right under the bridge?

And who came up with the Sao Paulo not having any torp launchers?

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

What I said was that Doug Drexler's deck plans are "current to stardate 53142" (look at the bottom of the foldouts). This is past the end of the show. Now, since the original Defiant was destroyed before that stardate (about SD 52600), the prints must be referring to the renamed and reregistered Sao Paulo.

"What You Leave Behind" probably took place around 529xx - the launchers were removed AFTER the DS9 show ended.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited May 10, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can see through the cut-aways the 'windows' on the ventral side of the ship... although - they have in this picture made them more oblong - whereas the model has teeny-tiny square 'windows'

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there are at least landing pads. But why would the Sao Paulo have the torp launchers removed? It's like getting bullets minus the gun.

------------------
"Life is like a dick, sometimes you just wanna f**k it"
-Yun Zhu
USS Vanderbilt NCC-73121, Vanderbilt Class Starship

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know the Defiant has 3 shuttles. I was surprised to see the one under the bridge, which was seen in 'The Sound Of Her Voice'.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the fact that the drawing includes landing pads like the ship's MSD, though I wonder why a ship "wasn't designed for atmospheric entry" would be design with landing pads.

Altair: didn't mean to offend. I just misunderstood your comment. I'll have to check my model, but I didn't think the circular structure on the ventral side lined up exactly with the bridge circle on the dorsal side. I thougt the shuttle bay was farther aft than the bridge.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

That's okay Aban, I can see why it was confusing...

About those 2 circles, my models show them as just out of alignment. I think it is a difference af about 10 to 20 meters.

------------------

(-=\V/=-)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps