Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ships destroyed in "First Contact"

Author Topic: Ships destroyed in "First Contact"
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"First Contact"
DVD
4. Engaging the Borg
1:57 Borg ship seen entering into orbit above Earth.
2:11 First Federation starship seen is the USS Defiant.
2:13 Akira Class ship is seen destroyed. This is the first confirmed casuality of the battle. Last three digits of registry can be barely seen.
2:14 Starship fragment. Class uncertain.
2:15 Sabre Class is seen to left of Borg ship. Port nacelle is damaged and spewing particles, like the USS Reliant of ST:WOK.
Ship is spinning clockwise.
2:17 Akira Class starship is hit repeatedly by Borg weapons. Explosion in starboard aft, followed by a second explosion in starboard nacelle. Third explosion rends the ship apart. (One of the Mirandas can be seen from below. The words "NCC" can be briefly seen.)
3:14 A starship of unknown class seen from the side is destroyed by a single Borg "missle".
3:15 Steamrunner Class starship is seen being destroyed by a single Borg "missle".
3:48 Sabre Class starship is seen being destroyed by a single Borg "missle". Hit is on the port side, aft.
3:49 Steamrunner Class starship is seen being destroyed by a single Borg "missle". Hit is on the starboard side, aft.
3:54 Steamrunner Class starship is seen adrift. Port forward saucer is destroyed.
3:59 Steamrunner Class starship is destroyed by Borg "missle". Port side, aft.
4:12 Last ship to be destroyed is Steamrunner Class starship. Starship is destroyed by shrapnel from exploding Borg ship. Hit is on ventral side.
4:13 Akira Class starship is last starship to leave battlefield.

Number of ships destroyed (known):
Akira Class, 2 ships
Sabre Class, 2 ships
Steamrunner Class, 5 ships
Uncertain class, 2 ships
Total: 11 ships

If I was in the battle, I would prefer to be aboard any class except the Steamrunner. Their shields appear to be weaker than the other starships and they seem to explode apart when hit.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a fleet of refitted Steamrunners came from their drydocks... and encountered the Borg first... that unknown ship you refer to I gather is the Norway class because that is the only other ship class you haven't mentioned...

Maybe Norways were also part of the refit or were accompanying the Steamrunners on a shakedown cruise...

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were Norways being blown to bits by the Borg also, especially the Norway on the left when the Cube blew apart.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Luzon, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, if you are being offered a command and are given a chance to pick, which one will you choose: a Sabre class or a Norway class?

------------------
The Doctor: "...with my heart, my experiences, and my soul..."
Tincoo (sp): "...I have duplicated that too..."

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be sure to apply for an Ambassador. That way I'll never see combat! (Or combat won't see me...)

Perhaps we could combine the evidently weak shields of the Steamrunners, and their extremely unconventional looks, and say that they aren't "real" starships. They could be auxiliary vessels of some sort - planetary assault transports or supply ships or even tugs or tenders - with minimal armament and weaker-than-usual shielding. They would be elemental in the war operations of DS9, since those long-range attacks require tankers/supply ships and those planetary conquest missions require assault carriers. But they would be intended to fight as a minor part of a big fleet, not in dogfight with a Borg cube.

Timo Saloniemi

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it matters which ship one choses if you are nearby when the Borg invades. However, i prefer the norway to the sabre class.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go for the Sabre. The Norway is #2 on my list of most ugly official Starfleet ships (the 'Shelley' is #1).

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Steamrunner design, the way the deflector dish hangs down from the back bothers me a bit, but otherwise it's one of my favorites.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Freedom Class as well as several of the others seen in the Wolf 359 graveyard beat the Shelley Class as ugliest ship in my book. I actually thought the Shelley was kind of cool and it was so nice to finally see a new ship...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*nods in agreement*

The Freedom was a crime against art, humanity, warp field design and Gene Roddenberry's "No odd-numbered nacelles!"

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Basill
Ex-Member

Any idea what the identity of that debris is that passes in front of the screen right after the Defiant appears? It moves roughly from the bottom right to top left. It was clearly another casualty. I just wondered if it showed up better or froze well on DVD.

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked myself the same question a few months back, then discussed the matter with Bernd and Frank. Here are some images:
http://www.adelphi.edu/~skrbicb/fcpiece1.jpg http://www.adelphi.edu/~skrbicb/fcpiece2.jpg http://www.adelphi.edu/~skrbicb/fcpiece.jpg (this is from the Thirst Contact joke label in TNG Sketchbook, credit goes to Frank for spotting it)

There are several possibilities:

1) Forward half of a Steamrunner saucer, ventral view. We've never really seen what the Steamrunner bottom looks like, which makes it a possibility. Problem - the diamond pods are MUCH too large compared to the forward shuttlebay.

2) Forward half of a new starship's saucer, ventral view. Alex Jaeger talked about a Zandura-class science vessel that was designed but never made it to the final movie. We don't know whether the ship was CGI-modeled or not - it is possible that a debris piece is all that was left onscreen.

3) A generic piece of debris, thrown in for fun (well, from our point-of-view it's still a class, even though we don't know what it looks like).

Boris

Basill
Ex-Member

Oh, so is this the "2:14 Starship fragment. Class uncertain" in your time table? I assume then that it is one of the 2 ships of uncertain class in the final list. Ah I get it now. Gosh, I can't wait to get a DVD.

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The piece belongs on the chronology to 2:13-the Akira fragment-and I would change the entry accordingly to: "2:13 Starship fragment uncertain." Total number of destroyed ships is altered to Akira 1 and Unknown 3.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps