Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Two ships with the same name?

Author Topic: Two ships with the same name?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think I may have some canon evidence for ships in Trek can have the same name at the same time. I was just watching "Remember Me" (BRILLIANT EPISODE) when Beverly asked the computer if there were any other ships in Starfleet at the moment with the name Enterprise - the ships said the thing about 5th ship to bear the name and then that there were no other Enterprises in service at the current time.

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a good episode. Anyway...
I've always thought that two ships can have the same name, but with different registries and classes. Look at the Lexington, we know one was a Nebula and another an Excelsior.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Luzon, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet probably doesn't look that close on names, but more on registries, like most navies (I think).

------------------
If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

-Tool, "Opiate"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or we could assume was destroyed or lost

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I intrepret the thing with the Lexington is the way I also interpret the thing with the Farragut.

If I understand what someone told me, after the Nebula Farragut was destroyed (by the Klingons, I forget which ep of DS9) and the Dominion came calling, they recommissioned the old Excelsior Farragut....

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NCC-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't really any proof that the Excelsior seen onscreen was the Farragut refered to, though.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly I wonder what Bev expected to hear. Maybe something like this: "There are currently 134 ships named Enterprise. Please narrow your search."

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure current USN rules prohibit two ships from having the same name. A ship has to be destroyed, decommissioned, or renamed for its name to be assigned to another ship. It would be too confusing to have several ships with the same name. Keeping track of the names shouldn't be that hard.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though, I've never served time in the USN, I do know how they operate in this field of ship names. Masao's right, but the name must also be stricken from the Navy's list before it can be assigned to a new ship. So even though a ship has been decommissioned, it could still be sitting at a port for some years with the name still on the list and another ship can't be given the same name until the name is stricken from the list. Usually once the name becomes available the previous ship has been sold or scrapped. In some cases the previous ship has been converted and/or renamed or is in the process.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must also add for an example the USS Constitution. The old wooden frigate Constitution is still in commission. Some years ago, the USN wanted to construct a cruiser with the name Constitution. Since the old one was still in service, it was renamed USS Old Constitution. The cruiser was cancelled so the old Constitution was named back to Constitution.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps