Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship in "tsohv" ds9

Author Topic: Starship in "tsohv" ds9
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the general forum I noticed a discussion concerning the downed starship in "The sound of her voice". In the wreckage one can apparently see a constitution refit-class nacelle. Anyone have pics of the wreck? The one I got is this: http://kcohn.simplenet.com/alidarjarok/deepspace9/thesoundofhervoice/Voice28b.jpg
It doesn�t show much, so I would like to see more. What is the consensus regarding this ship, name, class and so on?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt there is a consensus yet. So very little of the ship is established: just about any starship we know could perform an 8-yr mission of exploration.

We might say that the ship was a landing-capable one because she attempted to approach the planet so close that she eventually was caught in the anomalious "cronosphere" around it and crashed. Then again, we never learned the exact distances involved.

We could argue that the ship was a relatively large one, since the captain was a four-pipper full Captain. but then again, we have seen an Oberth captain of full Captain rank (Esteban of the Grissom), as well as a Nova captain (Ransom of the Equinox). The ship could have been as small as either of those.

Also, quite a lot of the ship seems to have survived until the surface - instead of a crater, there is this skeleton of a ship, suggesting a rather soft landing. Does this hint to a small, maneuverable vessel, or a huge one that would leave this much debris even after a hard impact?

How did the captain survive? By using an escape pod, or crashing with the ship, or transporting away at the last second? This might tell us something more.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I watched it, I could have sworn I saw the nacelle sticking up some where, but it's possible I was wrong. I started looking for it because someone else pointed it out to me. It's possible they were wrong too

Now that I look at that picture, though, check out the far left right below the mountain line. There's a piece of equipment there that looks to be an Intrepid-like bussard collector, except the red part is split into two pieces. I enhanced it with Photoshop, and it could certainly be the end of a nacelle. If it's true, it is definately not a Const.II nacelle.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited May 17, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can we scale this picture!?! It might be an escape pod or shuttle wreck... not the entire starship...

Maybe they reused the model/mesh of the Raven but from another - unrecognisable angle - and different background.

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like the piece of wreckage from TBOBW: http://www.auricom.net/Copernicus/screencaps/images/1_1.jpg

Maybe it's the Nebula-prototype seen behind the piece pf wreckage (the thing with the tiny nacelles): http://www.auricom.net/Copernicus/screencaps/images/1_6.jpg
It looks like there is something right behind the smashed saucer resembling two nacellish things and a teenieweenie little secondary hull, but the damage on the saucer doesn't match with the damaga on the proto-Nebula

------------------
If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

-Tool, "Opiate"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good sighting, your first pic-link look quite alike to the soundofhervoice wreck. The wreck over the tiny nacelle ship in the second pic, is that the same wreck as in the first pic? They don�t look alike.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming the main body of the wreck there is the saucer section, it looks to have a raised portion capped by a round bridge in the style of Constitution class ships or Constellations. If that raised area is the bridge though, the saucer itself is way too narrow to and eliptical to be either of those too classes. Probably a quick throw-together representing an unseen class.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure I recall seeing the C-II nacelle at some point, probably when I saw the episode itself. Can anyone get a better vidcap? Frank? :-)

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The piece behind the wreckage (to the very right) looks like an upside-down Excelsior engineering hull with it's far nacelle still attached...

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a nacelle in the foreground, I think.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We can't really say we feel comfortable in Los Angeles, because we don't." - John Flansburgh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's kind of hard to identify... Isn't there a shot (probably just before this?) that shows the end of the nacelle (off the left side of the screen in this pic), which may have been the front of the nacelle, IIRC?

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure...I'd have to dig out the episode. I'll check later.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We can't really say we feel comfortable in Los Angeles, because we don't." - John Flansburgh

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The captain of the USS Olympia arrived in an escape pod onto the planet's surface. The ship is destroyed by the energy field surrounding the planet.
The wreckage, I would opinion, is that of a Galaxy Class variant. Major components of the hull on the surface of the planet would appear to be a saucer broken into fragments and fragments of a nacelle. From this wreckage, the ship seems to have design similarities with other Galaxy Class variants (Cheyenne, Freedom, etc). However, I don't believe that any serious attempt is made by the artistic team to give the USS Olympia a distinguishable shape or assign a registry or class to the ship. Instead, I feel that the artistic team may have been attempting to suggest the severity of the destruction of the USS Olympia and how lucky the captain is to have survived. Furthemore, the wreckage may have come from the episode "The Best of Both Worlds", Part II. There would seem to be very strong similarities between the wreckage of the saucer, and that of the nacelle, as well, to the wreckage in "The Sound of Her Voice". The damage pattern is consistent between both pieces of wreckage.

From the current evidence, I think the USS Olympia is built within the past two generations (approximately 40 years), belongs to a Galaxy Class variant class (Freedom, Cheyenne, Challenger, etc.) that is unknown at present, has a registry number lower than 70000, has a large cargo and fuel capacity to do an eight year mission far from Federation territory, and is of medium to large size.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited May 17, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, we can only really identify a nacelle - It could still be a shuttle or somesort... we have nothing to scale the wreckage with... a tree... nothing.

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody cross-checked the BoBW saucer against the ST3 saucer of the Enterprise-nil after the scuttling charges have fired? Okuda did say that this damaged saucer was used somewhere in BoBW. I only remember that the forward half of the ST3, up to and including the bridge, went up when the charges were detonated - I don't remember the exact pattern of damage.

The saucer wreck would be a rather large and detailed piece of debris, and possibly stored for posterity. Other major sources of convincing surface debris at this point would be limited to the "Liaisons" T*rellian freighter and the Raven remains, but they didn't have saucer parts, and it does seem as if the "Sound" wreck uses the BoBW saucer.

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps