Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Noble? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Noble?
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just looking at the script for "Interface", and someone mentions the Excelsior and the *Noble*. Was the name actually onscreen? We can even suppose that the Equinox's class ship is meant here, if we go with the Noble-class designation featured on the dedication plaque.

It is possible that the ship was later renamed to Nova, and with it the entire class of vessels. Or maybe now there are two different ways of referring to Equinox-type ships: Nova-class for sticklers to proper nomenclature, and Noble-class for those who don't care that a renamed ship renamed their entire class.

Boris

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it was mentioned onscreen, but the encyclopedia claims it was the USS Nobel. I guess it was just supposed to be a mispronunciation on the part of the speaker (either Picard or Riker, as I recall).

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I doubt that it was a Nova Class. Wasn't the ship seen on screen or was it that episode with Satie and the whole encyclopedia mixup of the Oberth/Olympic Class I'm thinking of?

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Luzon, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what you mean...the Nobel wasn't seen, and is listed in the encyclopedia as an Olympic class vessel. Okuda's way of saying that the Olympic class really does exist in the main timeline, perhaps.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally got the impression that the Noble was an Olympic Class starship since we never heard of a Nova Class ship then and if M.Okuda says the Noble is an Olympic then we assume he is right.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I registries were consistent and followed some sort of chronological order (thanks First Contact) the presence of the 5**** registry on the Pasteur would be evidence that this ship and its class exist in the current timeline - since 5**** ships are before the E-D was 'born'.

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AndrewR: What is wrong with First Contact?

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: PLEASE don't be refering to the fact that "new" ships like the Akira and Steamrunner have lower registries than ships like the Galaxy Classes. The ships we saw in FC, were not new classes of ships. We had just never seen them before.

If that's not what you meant, then...nevermind.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't aware that Okuda spelled the name Nobel and made it into Olympic class. In that case, the Encyclopedia may override the script, as it's probably gonna be more influential in the future.

Speaking of spelling, the Jenol*n is spelled Jenolan in the first half of the script, and Jenolen in the second half! The Br*ttain is spelled Brattain all over.

Boris

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael_T is referring to several issues...the Oberth-class Biko, from, er, that Old-West Worf episode, is referred to the the encyclopedia as Olympic-class. Meanwhile, the Oberth-class ship from "The Drumhead" is apparently the USS Cochrane, with an NCC-x000 registry (I need to check the episode), according to the Star Trek Companion, although the encyclopedia doesn't know this.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We can't really say we feel comfortable in Los Angeles, because we don't." - John Flansburgh

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited May 18, 2000).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A Fistful of Data's"

NCC-8000 iirc.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, thanks Frank. I completely confused all those episodes...

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Luzon, Vanderbuilt Class starship

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban and Altair... I'm just referring to the fact that (yep they may have just been refitted) that the four new ships seen... have lower registries with the aspects of the newer Sovereign - I know its a lengthily debated topic - but if I'm going to talk registries - i.e. the Pasteur - I have to talk Steamrunner/Akira registries too. Its either - the registries a chronologically ordered... thus the Pasteur is quite an older ship in the AGT... future. Or that registries are assigned in groups and that if there are numbers left over once the original run of ships have been made - then they can use them freely... thus allowing for 'newer looking ships' to have older numbers. This also caters for the Constitution numbers... 1700 may indeed have been the first Constitution the, Enterprise the second and so on, say till 1705. Then we it came time to build some more - the production of ships that were around the 1300's had finished and there were numbers there available to be used... so they used them. This also accounts for the large jump in reistry numbers between Star Trek VI and Star Trek: TNG...

This ALSO accounts for the first three Danubes... all next to each other. When it came time for new danubes - the 'registry appliers' then had the choice of using the next number 74600 or what ever (around the time of Voyager) or picking a number that had been unused previously... say 74515 (a random example). The probably with the turn over of the five digits - disallowed any new ships with four numbers... or like when you want to get a new telephone number - you have to pay for easy to remember numbers like 555-1111 instead of something more random 555-9813.

Anyone follow that?

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, most of it.

But I'm still a follower of the idea that a higher number automatically means a newer ship. And that in FC the ships were older ships, which we have seen there for the first time.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concur. The fact that names of starships can be reused once a ship of a certain name has been retired from service or destroyed makes it all the more important that the registry numbers be arranged in an easy-to-understand manner. The whole point of having the regos is to keep track of and accurately id the ships. Bigger regos equaling newer ships (not newer classes)just makes sense and seems to have born out for the most part.

As for the messed up Constitution numbers in TOS, there were so many things that were messed up in TOS, I'm willing to believe almost anything.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps