Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Phaser oddity

Author Topic: Phaser oddity
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If phasers are energy weapons (which they are), then you would expect them to not have an "ammunition" limit, since energy is constantly being generated before, between, and after a shot. So why is it that we have seen "phaser energy reserve coils" (or some such item; in some of the Dominion-war arc episodes Sisko and Dax have one of these things in their hands and say "take a good long look at this people (..)")? Does this imply that (the Defiant in this case) can only fire a limited number of times, or have I got it wrong?

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just kinda figured they were like big batteries. You have something that's generating the power for the phasers. Eventually, it burns out or runs out of energy and has to be replaced. I think it was just one component in the phaser systems though.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember offhand the technobabble name of this device, but I got the impression that it was some sort of a focusing device or capacitor or something that experiences lots of strain every time the phaser is fired, and eventually just "burns through".

Having to regularly replace this component with a fresh one would be similar to having to replace the firing pin of your gun from time to time, but not all that similar to having to insert new ammo.

Incidentally, I doubt any other ships have these devices in their strip-type phasers - this seemed like something specific to the pulse phasers of the Defiant.

Timo Saloniemi

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I kinda got that idea too.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also possible that they use those things to store the energy for a while before firing. That way, if the power flow is interrupted, they can still get off another shot...

------------------
"Numerous painful experiences can be caused by having (and especially using) a large penis."
-J. Ralf Lenz, president, Large Penis Support Group

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps