Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Unification

Author Topic: Unification
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this on a �Did you know�� site, kinda interesting:

�...The junkyard in "Unification II" consisted mostly of ships dragged out from wherever Mike Okuda could find `em. Some of the models included: models from the unmade "Star Trek: Phase II" series, models from ILM that were never used, models of the Enterprise that didn't come out of the mold right, and a very unusual looking Enterprise. Some of the models were designed by Greg Jein and Robert McCall.�

They�re right about the Phase II and ILM models, but has anyone located the others? And who the heck is Robert McCall?

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's the guy who we're going to flood with emails! Er, um.

So far, we've identified...the quad-nacelle ship (apparently an Excelsior study model), a Phase II ship, a weird saucer thing, two Mirandas, some sort of freighter, possibly an Apollo (or maybe it's the soliton [sp?] rider), and another Excelsior study model. Anything I'm forgetting?

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"And as we all know, 454 Okudagrams equals an Okudapound." - Rick Sternbach

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL*

Well, besides the three BoBW models, the particle fountain (minus the bottom), and the Klingon ship, I can't see anything else.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't there a couple of ships that were stock footage straight from TBoBW? Not just reuses of the models, but of the actual film...

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, like the nacelle-less ship that some people identified as the Challenger, and the Excelsior study model/possible Niagara.

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"And as we all know, 454 Okudagrams equals an Okudapound." - Rick Sternbach

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited June 13, 2000).]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Small update: Okuda states that all the graveyard ships were from past Star Trek projects, but that it was Gary Hutzel who found the models, not him.

Robert McCall is a science fiction artist best known for his 2001-A Space Odyssey paintings of the wheel space station and others. He designed some of the interiors of V'ger for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Although it's whereabouts are uncertain, it is probably safe to assume that the Excelsior study model 3 (the one that looks most like the regular Excelsior) is in the graveyard.

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old brownie."
Homer: "Done and done...D'oh!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could we also assume that the strange 'refit' of the Constitution refit from "Booby Trap" is in there seeing as BT was season 2??

Also, why wasn't there any 'double ups' of starship classes - well so far in what we've seen?? How likely is it to get a gathering of 40 starships, all different classes?

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited August 08, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the "Booby Trap" ship was just thrown together ASAP from an ERTL kit when a tabletop decoration was needed, and the guy who did it knew squat about how it should look like. After the episode, the thing went straight to the garbage bin, or was dismantled for parts. The odds are, it would have fallen apart anyway, since lots of parts were missing or improperly glued.

As for 40 classes being present... I think we could draw the line on the number of classes currently established (15?) and fill in the missing ones (25?) with sister ships - lots of Excelsiors, of course, and probably heaps of Akiras and Steamrunners as well since they are so prevalent in other battle scenes. Steamrunners appear to blow into toothpick-sized shrapnel with the first hit, so the absence of wrecks of this class would be understandable...

Also, some of the ships seen in "BoBW" might not "retain their identity" from shot to shot - a USS Kyushu in one shot could be USS Shikoku of the same class in the next, and the similarities in damage patterns would be coincidental. That would also help explain why the locations and movements of some wrecks do not remain constant from shot to shot.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another model from "Unification", that black (ferengi?) ship loaded with weapons, trying to destroy the E-D. Has it ever been used since?
I thought it looked kinda cool, being one of the few trek-ships in black.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It only got reused once to my knowledge: as the Ilari ship from Voyager's "Warlord". Usually I loathe reuses of Alpha quadrant designs on Delta quadrant. But since the ship was completely unknown to our heroes during its Alpha appearance, it would theoretically be possible that it actually originated from very far away, perhaps all the way to Delta. After all, it only takes a century or so for a ship to travel across a quadrant by conventional means, and some ships may well have lifetimes longer than mere 100 years.

The design certainly was exotic enough - bladelike protrusions all over, the main gun above the hull like a scorpion's stinger... A welcome break from the usual mold of blocky TNG guest ships.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AndrewR: "Booby trap" model ship - is that the one that is in Geordi�s office when they�re building the Enterprise? As a fan of these models seen in the shows, I always look for pics. This one I have. However, it�s a small pic. Anyone got any better?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

[This message has been edited by pIn'a' Sov (edited August 09, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, P. It's the one from the Enterprise drafting room at UP, on the holodeck, with Leah.

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@pIn'a' Sov: Where is your homepage?
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume you don�t mean my webpage location, since that can be seen in my profile, so I�m guessing you mean why it�s been missing?
What else but server-problems :-( It should be fixed and up and running today. If you see any broken links or pics, please let me know. I had to upload from scratch, and you all know what can happen....

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps