Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What You like the most, or the least (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What You like the most, or the least
Cartman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. First of all, where has it ever been stated that those are impluse engines above the Tractor Beam, The Sketch even marks them as Torpedo Tubes. No Canon source has ever called them impulse engines.

2nd of all, according to Eaves, he just put those triangle things on the saucer just cuz they looked cool and so that people would see a connection between Old Enterprise, and New Enterprise.

3rd of all, I do think that those squares on the bottom part of the Engineering hull are just large Cargo Bay doors, nothing more, nothing less.

and lastly, I stand by the figure of 5 for the Torpedo Tube count. I do not consider that scene with the Ent-E Pheonix fly by proof of only 1 tube because I just watched the scene and it does not show much of anything, just a big black spot. You can't make out a Torpedo tube, Tractor Beam, nothing. So I stand by that the Enterprise-E has 5 Torpedo Tubes.

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's plenty of aft phaser coverage, both dorsal & ventral, from the the existing emplacements. Remember, phasers are not like guns; they have a much larger FOF. Maybe if I have time &/or energy, I'll draw up a graphic showing the Sovereign-class FOF...

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the TNG Movie Sketchbook, page 106, the Enterprise-E Blueprints (half top view, half bottom view), the area in question states the following:

Where the tractor beam emitter is, the line says "Photon Launcher[u]s[/u] + Tractor Emitter"

Behind that, there is no detail, but it says "~ Plating + Cargo Doors See Sketch~" By 'See Sketch', I believe they mean the one that's posted here, therefore, those large things are cargo doors, not impulse engines.

I also stand by the 2 torpedo launcher idea. On page 278-279, there is a picture of the physical model. Unfortunatly, where the torpedo launchers would be, that's where the crease would be. So, if anyone wants to rip out the pages of their book (I don't...sorry), then we can get a clear view of that area. The same picture also shows 2 launchers under the deflector dish (for whoever said they though they only saw 1)

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the battle section uses "electroporous plates" like the DS9 TM says the Defiant uses.

The E-E looks great from most angles, but I hate the profile. Take a look at any schematic and it looks just too stretched out from the side.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the aft "shuttlebay doors" will be revealed to actually be impulse engine shutters? :P

Dunno. The ship looks fine when in one piece, but even if the separation is technically feasible, it probably won't make the audience gasp in awe. What you'll hear instead is lots of quiet snickering, and a couple of loud burps from those obnoxious guys who somehow always choose to sit just behind or in front of you.

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL*

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know what I hate about the Sovereign? The LENGTH.

Look at the side view--it's all stretched out & icky. That flat area behind the shuttlebay? Blech. Ever see the original drawings, where everything was all smooth & fluent & curved, with the impulse deck in the center & the shuttle & cargo bay doors on the sides...& there was that "point" under the aft hull undercut? I LOVE that design. Should've stuck with that one...bastards...

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the thing I hate the most would have to be the engineering hull. It's TOO elongated for my tastes. Other than that, I don't have too much of a beef with the Sovereign Class.

What I love, on the other hand, are those gorgeous long nacelles. They're in my opinion, the best design feature on the ship. Other than those, Main Engineering is the best thing on the ship. It's so big and cavernous! Best room on the ship. Period

------------------
It is offensive. Fortunately, taste is irrelevant.
-Seven of Nine

Cartman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I too love the long Nacelles. Seems the Enterprise-E has alot in common with the older Enterprises. It has those Triangles from the Ent-nil. Plus, it's shuttlebay is also like that of the Ent-nil refit. It has Warp Pylons very much like the ones of the Ent-A. And the long Nacelles are like those of the Ent-nil, Ent-A, and Ent-B. 1st time I saw the Enterprise-E, I noticed mostof these points.

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

[This message has been edited by Cartman (edited June 22, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the E-E has some nice 'retro' features to it. I wish I wasn't camping or I would have responded sooner. All of the points I wanted to make were made all ready.

Here's some Studio Model pics.

I've scanned so much out of my book, the pages started to fall out, so I did rip out all of the pages and put them into plastic sheets for better scanning. I'll try to see if I can get that pic for you sometime.

---Actually, I just looked at the book. That same picture is on the page I just posted. The torpedo launchers are obstructed from view by the tractor beam emitter.

------------------
"Why can't we be friends?'--Smash Mouth

The web page is not completed yet, but come by and check it out.
Quantum Threshold

Avalon Sector

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited June 24, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps