Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » My musings about the Oberth Class history

Author Topic: My musings about the Oberth Class history
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The Oberth Class scouts are first designed and commmissioned in the early 2100's under, by 2365, an unknown class name. The earliest known canon ship of this class is the SS Seattle NAR-18834, which is sent in 2120, on a mission to do ADR looping. (The SS Seattle NAR-18834 is renamed to SS Vico NAR-18834 between 2120 and 2368.) These ships are used extensively by civilians until the founding of Starfleet for scouting and freighting. Ships have no weapons, limited shielding, and small crews. After the founding of Starfleet, the fleet needed scouts to explore star systems and map regions of space within Federation space. The contractor of this class is hired to make ships to Starfleet's specifications. Under Starfleet, the class is given a new designation-Oberth Class, possibly after the first Starfleet ship of this class. This ship may have a lower registry than the known USS Oberth NCC-602. The new Starfleet ships may have been operating as early as 2164 (there is mention of a Federation scout in the Delos System in this year ["Symbiosis"]). The Oberth Class would serve Starfleet for at least two hundred years, having experience at least one major refit, and the last known commissionings were in the 2350's. The ships are missing from the canonical record as of 2372 when the Federation is in war against the Dominion.

*2120 Earliest known record of an Oberth Class ship, the SS Seattle NAR-18834.
*2164 Possible earliest known reference of an Oberth Class ship. Between this date and 2286, there are references to scouts in "The Apple" and ST: The Motion Picture.
*2286 USS Grissom NCC-638 is the first Oberth Class starship seen.
*2350 USS Pegasus NCC-53847 is commissioned. She and the USS Tsiolkovsky were launched within months or years of each other.
*2371 Last confirmed sighting of an Oberth Class starship-the USS Valiant NCC-20000.

Known ships
SS Seattle (SS Vico) NAR-18834
USS Bonestell NCC-31600
USS Cochrane NCC-8000
USS Copernicus NCC-623
USS Grissom NCC-638
USS Oberth
USS Pegasus NCC-53847 (Originally, this ship is to have been of another class [rf. Companion])
USS Raman NCC-29487 (Originally, this ship is to have been of another class [rf. Companion])
USS Tsiolkovsky NCC-53911
USS Valiant NCC-20000
USS Yosemite NCC-19002

Possible additions
USS Columbia NCC-621
USS Oberth NCC-602
USS Revere NCC-595

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting but where did you get the information about the oberth class ship?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the first Oberth built was USS Oberth NCC-602, around 2200. The SS Seattle is definatly not meant to be the same as SS Vico (I mean, a ship being able to survive from 2120 to 2360? I don't buy it). The NAR used here is a New UN designation, not a Federation designation, therefore, they are 2 different ships.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theory: Picard's screen had a typo on it, and the Seattle was actually NAR-1834, not 18834.

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that i find it hard to believe that the first oberth ship was the seattle in the early 22nd century. Surely, it has to be the oberth (we assume it is the prototype and class ship). Also hearing starfleet mentioning scout ships does not mean it has to be an oberth class ship.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

ginsu
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering why you mention that the Oberth-class has no weapons(I seem to remember seeing this mentioned in another topic as well). In ST III, Kirk wonders aloud if the Grissom will fire on the Enterprise when it reaches the Genesis planet....

ginsu

------------------

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps