Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Wambundu" origin research update

Author Topic: "Wambundu" origin research update
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As promised, an update.

My wwwebsearch yield a single non-Trek answer: a catalog of papers from the late anthropologist Anthony Forge, who did a study of tribes in Papua New Guinea in the late 50s/early 60s. The specific reference was to a color slide of fieldwork labeled "Mango at Wambundu, 1958 - 1963."

From there, I contacted the Papua New Guinea governemnt via email & I received the following reply today:

"Forge organised a symposium in Switzerland in 1984. The papers were
collected and printed in Sepik Heritage - Tradition and Change in Papua New
Guinea, 1990, by Carolina Academic Press, North Carolina. This may have
some references to Wambundu. In the traditional context Wambundu has a
number of meanings. Wam means end and bundu means man. So wambundu may mean
for example end man or end of man. Wambundu also may refer to a traditional
mask/basket worn by men during initiation rites. For further information
you could try Father Cherubim Dambui, former East Sepik Premier, who
attended the symposium. He is contactable on [email protected]"

Normally, I'd continue along the trail, but I have major life problems at the moment requiring my immediate attention. Hopefully someone else will continue to sniff out the trail.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real question is, how in the world did someone working on Trek hear of this name? :-)

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not all that suprising. Many words used on Trek have been derived from words used in that general area of the world. For instance, "Ferengi" and "Jem'Hadar" both are amazingly similar to Indian words that mean, respectively, 'foreigner' and 'teacher' (I'm not sure about that last one, and I may have the meaning completely wrong)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, Jem'Hadar is a rank in the Indian military.

------------------
"Hmmm...." -Me

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Dictionary.com

Jemidar: The chief or leader of a hand or body of persons; esp., in the native army of India, an officer of a rank corresponding to that of lieutenant in the English army. [Written also jemadar, jamadar.]

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, that supersoldier on TNG, Roga Danar had the rank of Sub Hadar, IIRC.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking from a Trek-perspective, wouldn't it be amazing? How would this be explained? Two major races with equivalent words in Earth languages would not be a coincidence, I think.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53672:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Miranda class vessels, as good as new! Survived the Dominion Wars! Only 100 years old! Only 20,000 ly on the counter! Buy now for only $1000! And if you order now, you get an Oberth class for half the price!"

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two civilizations with the same spelling would be remarkable, sure. But, two civilizations with the same word sounds...I think "phonics" is the word...however, would simply be a interesting coincidence. Think about how many words on Earth mean different things in different cultures. Of course, that is easily explained on Earth. However, of all the species in the Star Trek Universe, hundreds of Federation members, thousands upon thousands of others, it is bound to occur that different worlds have similar words. Consider the "parrellel worlds" theory, in which civilations, under similar circumstances, will develop in a similar way. We have seen dozens of species on Trek, and they all more or less have the same body structure, similar clothing, similar weapon's styles, and similar buildings. That a few words would be similar, can easily be explained by the evolution of thought and communication.

Lance http://thetrekker.homestead.com

------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the similar spellings would be easy to explain by transliteration into English being limited to only 26 letters. Words from different languages would sound slightly different when pronounced by native speakers but are transliterated identically in English. Japanese is even more limited: "Shitty" and "City" are transliterated identically in Japanese katakana since there is no "si" sound in Japanese. (This is a constant source of amusement for English teachers).

Anyways, spellings may be irrelevant because I don't know if either "hadar" term ever appeared on screen within an episode (not as a title).

Of course, the simple explanation for similarity of the terms is similarity of writers. But something about alien names has always bothered me. First, most alien females names end in a or i, which seems rather Terran. Second, how come, by coincidence, we never get Alien terms that sound like English words. Why don't we ever get Aliens named Tahm (pronounced "Tom"), Bhehti (pronouced Betty), or Dd'iikch (pronouced "Dick")?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we did get a Romulan woman named Caithlin in ST5... It's not very likely that this is the original Romulanese spelling, now is it? Then again, Gaelic/English translations and translitterations are a thing unto themselves...

Timo Saloniemi

Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote---

Masao wrote:

"Why don't we ever get Aliens named Tahm (pronounced "Tom"), Bhehti (pronouced Betty), or Dd'iikch (pronouced "Dick")?" ---

Well there is the Star Trek: New Frontier book series. I know it is not canon, but the writer of those books has done exactly as you suggest. The captain of the Excalibur is named Calhoun, but it is actually some alien name like Kal'oon or something. He accepts the distortion to fit in. It is all explained in the first book, but it has been a long while since I read it. Never mind the mere coincidence that Calhoun is like some Terran, new frontierish, cowboy kind of name that fits his characterization perfectly.

Good thing then that his name is not Dd'iikch

Basil

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy's real name was something like M'k'nzy, which he changed to MacKenzie smoothly enough when he joined the SF Academy (the books say the pronunciation is similar but not identical, with several difficult gutturals in M'k'nzy). Since he also needed a "surname" and had none, he chose the name of his hometown, Calhoun - thus, MacKenzie Calhoun, or Mac to his few friends.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the novelization for V, the Romulan ambassador was named after her...grandmother, I think, who had been human. Which was part of the reason she was assigned to such a miserable location. Noncanonly speaking, of course.

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps