Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG "Redemtion, part II" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TNG "Redemtion, part II"
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this episode, on the bridge of the USS Sutherland, we see this schematic: http://nzcabac.future.easyspace.com/StarFleet/NebulaVariant3.htm
I think the consensus has been that the diagram shows a nebula-variant, and not the Sutherland herself. I just saw the episode again yesterday after several years, and I noticed something. Towards the end of the show, Data is checking on a computerscreen prior to him firing on the romulans, and just to left of the screen there appears to be a diagram of a nebula class, side-view. This diagram does not appear to be the same as the one above. My vcr just broke, ruining the tape :-( , so I�m wondering if anybody has a screencap of this diagram?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the usual dorsal view of a Nebula-class, only with a "tail", a prolongation of the engineering-hull.

Your sketch above the picture seems to indicate two holes in the aft engineering-section but those are just dark fields representing the tactical pod.
The two parallel side-structures are of course nacelles but the tips are hidden under the saucer in a dorsal-view.

However, the tactical pod on the ship in the screencap DOES seem to be covering less of the saucer-area than the standard nebula-pod, revealing a more pushed-back position of it.

I dunno!?

I have a newly-purchased copy of Red.I-II. Maybe I'll re-watch the scene tonite.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited July 04, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the side view:
http://frankg.dgne.com/sff/nebside.jpg

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting... That top view suggests that it's a Miarecki-style Nebula. However, the side view looks like a regular Nebbie, but w/ the nacelles lowered...

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod: First, the image isn�t mine, I just linked to the neutral zone, so it�s his pic, (well, his site anyway). Second, your conclusions sounds about right.
Frank: Thanks.
Tsn: Yeah, the lowered nacelles looks weird, unless what we�re seeing is the same as on a number of diagrams. That is, lowering the nacelles so as to get a better view of the main body of the ship. Look at USS Voyager as an example of what I mean.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Okuda took one of those diagrams cut-and-pasted from a Galaxy ship to roughly approximate a Nebula (see the sketch in TNG: The Continuing Mission et al), and added the new triangular pod to that. The rough approximation in turn is very similar to the Miarecki ship because Miarecki cut-and-pasted, too (with plastic parts, though, and not with a Macintosh).

Even the side view seems to have an elongated tail IMHO. Or at least could have, amidst all that blurring.

Or perhaps the top picture has the triangle pod located so far aft for the same reason the nacelles are moved in the side picture: to reveal more of the hull?

Timo Saloniemi

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does. That Okudagram has been reproduced somewhere, (maybe in The Art of Star Trek?) and I remember seeing quite clearly that there was a tail.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the Sutherland was a Miarecki-style Nebula? We didn't see the ship itself onscreen, did we?

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, we did see it. It was the first use of the Nebula model with the triangle thing.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, it was the full photographic/filming model with the weapons pod. Not a small plastic or desktop model.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Oh, hell...

------------------

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I may hazard a guess at what happened behind the scenes...

The tech team looks at the script and decides that the Sutherland should be a Nebula class ship. Okuda (or a flunky) goes off to do the Okudagrams for the bridge based on the existing (Miarecki) Nebula model. Simultaneously, the visual effects team takes the existing model and starts working on the photographic miniature - with updates to the design c/o Sternbach.

By the time everybody compares notes, it's either too late to update the Okudgram - or they figure no-one will ever notice.

(Gods, if you guys knew what it was like on the newsgroups 10 years ago... you guys are doing things that would blow everyone back then away. Keep it up!)

Now the real world explanation? Erm... the ship is running off-the-shelf "Nebula LCARS OS release 2.0" since "Nebula LCARS OS release 3.0" was too buggy?

[This message has been edited by Joshua Bell (edited July 06, 2000).]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Well, the comment made by The_Tom made me dig up my star trek books. I searched "The art of star trek" and found nothing. But then I took a deep breath, and thought about it. It did have a familiar ring to it, this mysterious okudagram. Then, eureka! I looked in "Star trek the next generation; the continuing mission", and look what I found: http://hem.passagen.se/pinasov/nebulaeng.jpg
This Nebula has the elongated enginering hull that appears to exist in both screencaps from "Redemption, part II" on my site.

(ooops, Timo said this already :-), yeah, well, at least you all get to see the pic!)

------------------

[This message has been edited by pIn'a' Sov (edited July 07, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, pin'a'Sov, Timo said that a few replies earlier.

------------------
FuckU-FuckMe: Changing the feel of communication:
"What kinds of security controls does FuckU-FuckMe offer?

All FuckU-FuckMe users can control whom they connect to on an individual basis. There's no need to go to a public reflector. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Joshua: Didn't the regular Nebula model (though w/ different pod) already exist, à la the Phoenix?

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps