Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Freedom Class

Author Topic: Freedom Class
Grapeape
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I just saw (for the first time) the diagrams of the Freedom class from Plina'Sov's website, and they look VERY accurate, as far as what is visible from the only vidcap we have seen of the actual studio model. Like the Niagara class, the whole bridge structure/hangar seems to be modified from Ambassador-class components. No doubt as to that. But, do we know for sure it doesn't have a complete phaser strip around the top and bottom (instead of segmented like the Niagara)? Also, it seems odd that one of the new classes doesn't have a nav deflector - with the exception of the old Miranda-class ships, all of the modern ships seem to have one. Maybe it's built right into the front of the primary hull somehow? If only there were a bow shot of the model floating around somewhere...

------------------

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thingamabob under the saucer (where a Galaxy would have the Yacht) probably is supposed to be the nav deflector.

The schematic seems to have an odd, customized neck, very steeply angled and similar to the TOS Enterprise neck. But the screencap suggests that the neck could be a standard Constitution-refit neck - there is this short vertical stretch just above the torp deck, even though the FF picture shows no such stretch.

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, not only do neither the Rigel [edit correction - Niagara] nor the supposed Freedom have anything resembling Ambassador components, and there were no Ambassador models to kitbash anyway, but nowhere has Okuda said anything about them being used...I could be wrong, but please, compare with the Ambassador model:
http://www.mjtsc.demon.co.uk/mike/startrek/1701c.htm
http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorensen/modelcitizen/trekships/ambassador/index.html

------------------
Frank's Home Page.
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited July 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited July 04, 2000).]

Grapeape
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shadow, refer to the USS Princeton discussion thread. It has been established there that the Niagara-class uses the lower bridge deck of an Ambassador-class ship,but reversed, with the larger end facing aft. It also has an Ambassador-class secondary hull. Yes, no kit of the E-C was available at the time, but the modelmaker had access to the molds used to make the original studio model of the E-C and did so to make the kitbash. Therefore, if you look closely at the shapes of the parts involved, the Freedom-class also uses the forward section of an Ambassador-class lower bridge (facing the "correct" way this time) with the aft end turned into a large hangar. Apparently, parts from the Galaxy and Ambassador master molds were also used for this ship as well. FYI, the Rigel class has never been mentioned, and according to Bernd's Wolf 359 page, a model may have never existed period.
IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant Niagara, sorry.

Look at these images:
http://www.mjtsc.demon.co.uk/mike/startrek/c2l.jpg http://frankg.dgne.com/sfsd/ships/images/princeton-model.jpg

The bridge structures are not the same, not even reversed.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

While I'm yelling at stuff, here's the Fact Files Niagara diagram:
http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/images/FF_niagara_dorsal.jpg

The saucer structure looks nothing like the model. They even have the registry wrong. In fact, none of the details match the model at all!

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the FF, this thing above the warp nacelle (what seems to be a photon torpedo launcher) is the navdeflector.

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this applies to one of the previous replies (about the Freedom Class I think). Galaxy Class saucers have a deflector dish built in on the underside of the saucer forward of the yacht, about half way down between the edge of the saucer and the yacht. This serves as the ships secondary deflector array and the saucer's primary one in case of separation. It stands to reason that a similar structure would be built into Galaxy-like saucers like the Freedom and New Orleans. Therefore the answer to the "Where's the Freedom's nav def?" question is probably "On the underside of the saucer."

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!!
*breath in*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!!

The Niagara class official canon

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited July 05, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with the Niagara?

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Stith, Titan A.E.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beside the fact that it looks like a pillow or toy based on a Trek ship? Those nacelles look puffy and way to big for the ship. Plus, 3 nacelles has never been a popular design for me.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 nacelles, that is what's wrong...
With 2 (or 4) nacelles it would be okay.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, what does this button do?

Here's a lil' cutaway I did a time ago (of course, completelty non-canon)

------------------
FuckU-FuckMe: Changing the feel of communication:
"What kinds of security controls does FuckU-FuckMe offer?

All FuckU-FuckMe users can control whom they connect to on an individual basis. There's no need to go to a public reflector. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps