Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » McKinley (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: McKinley
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the purpose of McKinley's 8 arms?

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McKinley's 8 arms are docking arms, IMHO. They connect to a ship's docking ports.

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Stith, Titan A.E.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I can't fathom needing eight docking arms unless there's some sort of emergency and the crew needs to evacuate as quickly as possible.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure that they connect to the docking ports (at least not all of them). I think I've seen pictures of McKinley wrapped around the E-D like a claw (in fact wasn't there a pic of that in All Good Things?) Why it does this? I don't know. Perhaps to give service craft and technicians easier access to the ship and hull.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.sdce.de/technik/raumstationen/56/oben.gif http://www.sdce.de/technik/raumstationen/56/steuerbord.gif http://www.sdce.de/technik/raumstationen/56/vorne.gif http://www.sdce.de/technik/raumstationen/56/hinten.gif

------------------

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An example...
http://sapphireeclipse.3dworlds.org/Renderings/[email protected]

They seem to just secure the ship in place. Granted, they never seem to directly touch the hull, perhaps they are used in helping the ship maintain it's own position (some of of visual reference?) or as an emergency system to hold the ship, should it's RCS system fail... They could also be used for positioning large pieces of superstructure during construction of a new ship (like giant shuttle arms?)...

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could just use tractor beams to hold the ship in place

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could, but what if power is lost, for some reason? (anomoly, alien attack, etc.) Having something solid is very failsafe, plus saves energy...

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, the Enterprise-C was built at McKinley?

------------------
Personal Ad # 74913

-I'm an 18 year old Filipino student in the Los Angeles area looking for a steady boyfriend to compensate for very healthy sexual appetite. Must be white, blond, and have blue eyes.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Yes, according to the TNG:TM the E-C was built there.

I hope this new Okuda-book will show us the E-C's dedication plaque to confirm this.

------------------

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Arms seem to come in close to the mooring tractors on the Galaxy Class. I suspect that these mooring tractors are not able to work at very long range, so the arms provide something close by. While the RCS system could hold the ship in place, this structure allows the RCS system to be taken off line. In fact, the arms probably have their own tractors, so the ship can shut down all power if nessicary.

We have seen shots of Utopia Planetia that have frames like the McKinley Station one, so it is possable that the single frame the Enterprise was docked to in that episode was NOT Earth Station McKinley, but rather was a single structure of a larger complex.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that the Spider assembly as seen on TNG is simply a separate part of McKinley. What I'm trying to say is that McKinley is not necessarily a single structure. There may be a central facility for Earth Station McKinley itself, as well as separate facilities for Warp Engine Manufacturing, one that creates the hulls of these starships, one that does repairs, yadda yadda yadda, and of course, those "Spider Assemblies".

As for the claw here's a possible theory: The claw extensions fold inwards in order to keep the ship safely secure to the dock in order to facilitate repairs, upgrades, and the such. Otherwise, a very large Tractor Beam would be required to keep the ship in place, which would absorb a lot of power. There are possibly many smaller Tractor beams in those claws, but they take significantly less power than Larger beams.

Also observe that the facilities are in an orbit around Earth. Anything can dislodge ships from their facilities and send them crashing into Earth if they are only kept in place by a Tractor Beam. My guess is that the Claws will prevent this from happening. I can also speculate that each spider assembly has its own propulsion system in order to keep the facilities in synchronized orbit.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited July 06, 2000).]

The Vorlon
Member # 52

Certainly, McKinley Station is a collection of a dozen or so orbital docks, just like The San Francisco Yards is not likely composed soley of the drydock that the E-nil was refitted in... The E-B's drydock from Generations is also part of SFY, and the E-E was most likely also built in a box-type drydock at SFY.

The confusing part is the name, McKinley STATION does imply only one. Perhaps it's actually McKinley Yards, and that was A McKinley station, one of many...

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not all that sure that any sort of station-keeping measures are really needed except in emergency situations. One something starts moving in space it keeps moving in the same way until something hits it. Once the ship is aligned with the position and rotation of the station, it shouldn't need to be held in place by anything. Though, here's a thought: when we saw the Ent-B in it's box, there was a substatial mooring coming from the top of the box and connecting to the aft saucer section I believe. Maybe there is a similar device on the central portion of these spiders that connect with a more substantial part of the ship.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Vorlon wrote:

"The confusing part is the name, McKinley STATION does imply only one. Perhaps it's actually McKinley Yards, and that was A McKinley station, one of many.."

I always assumed that Mckinley was a large grouping of docks like San Francisco Yards or Utopia Planetia Fleet Yards. But now that you mention it "Earth Station Mckinley" as Riker called it in BOBW II, does seem to imply a single facility. Perhaps Mckinley station is just one dock that is part of the larger San Francisco Yards. Although I prefer the many Mckinley units theory, I am no longer sure it jibes. thoughts...

Basil

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps