Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ships of the Line (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line
spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: the Prometheus' Number

the problem is that the ship clearly has two numbers. The hull has one, and the Encyclopedia confirms that number, however the computer displays in that episode lists another, and that is confirmed by the ship's dedication plaque.
I prefer to explain this as disinformation. I believe that the Prometheus bears a resemblance to an earlier ship design, and was intentionally painted with the wron hull number to try to disguise how truly revolutionary it was.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's either that or when the Prometheus was being painted before the shakedown cruise someone decided it would be funny to place the wrong registry on the ship...

------------------
Personal Ad # 74913

-I'm an 18 year old Filipino student in the Los Angeles area looking for a steady boyfriend to compensate for very healthy sexual appetite. Must be white, blond, and have blue eyes.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we already know how messed up space scenes are. There's light everywhere, sound in a vacuum, etc. That, and the inconsistency of ship scaling... I think, from now on, I'm going to trust computer displays over space scenes...

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't you just talk about the Enterprise being a three-mile-long purple space cow, Tim? Eh? Eh?

As for the registry, I prefer the lower one just because of all the stubborn people who insist that registries much be chronological.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited July 06, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, wonderful. I saw one of these at the bookstore yesterday, but figured I could wait until I had a real need to keep track of dates in 2001.

As for the Prometheus, I'm one of those people Frank likes to annoy, but I tend to go with the lower number as well, simply because many bright people spent many weary weeks working out convoluted explanations for it, and I wouldn't want their work to be in vain.

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked Okuda about the "Unseen Frontier" book release, and he says he knows nothing about it. He speculates it's a Foundation Imaging project to showcase their unused CGI designs or something - most probably out in winter 2001-02 instead of winter 2000-01. His own stuff, including the "BoBW" and other rarely seen models, is still in preliminary stages, and it's not sure where it will all go. Too bad...

Timo Saloniemi

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well despite the name and registry errors I want this calendar, it will be my first Star Trek one.

------------------
"Cenus volunteers injured in the line of duty, sadly no one knows how many." - The Daily Show.
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, NCC-60205 for the USS Honshu? Does this mean that the 60205 reg. is the confirmed number or did the calender just make it up?

------------------
"I just want to set the record straight: I thought the officer was a prostitute"- Homer Simpson

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
60205 is what I got from the pylon quick-shot when "Waltz" first aired. Later on, Foundation Imaging shots from SFF&M magazine seems to bear that out. It's a lock AFAIC.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps