Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Registry chart...

Author Topic: Registry chart...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd's site has another addition I've just seen. I hate to keep ragging on this Potter fellow, but there's a few things I need to question here. What are the following ships that are represented on the chart:

the Apollo in the 17/18000s?
   the Freedom in the 77/78000s?
   the Nebula in the 51/52000s?
   the Renaissance in the 10000s?

Anyone know? Also, has the registry of the Curry ever been confirmed? I notice it's labelled on here. Just last night I saw it listed in a couple different places, but those numbers didn't agree w/ each other.

------------------
Pickhard: "What is our progress, Beta?"
Beta: "Excellent, captain. I require only one more Thunderstone to evolve my Pikachu to level 47."
-from the Sev Trek movie trailer

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited July 27, 2000).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of those are probably just possible extrapolations for "breathing room." The latest Apollo mentioned is the Clement, NCC-12537; the earliest Nebula is the Honshu, NCC-60205.

I think the reasons for extending the Freedoms is because the only 2 ever mentioned were in the 687XX range--Ben probably made them early models. As for the Renaissance, that's a holdover from the E1 when the Hornet was mistakenly labeled as NCC-10523.

And the last time I checked, the Curry was still NCC-45617.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Frank told me what the Curry was. And thanks for the explanation on the Hornet.

But I'm not sure about the other ones. There are a lot of ships on there that we only have one or two examples for, yet those don't have "breathing room" added.

------------------
Beta: "Excellent, captain. I require only one more Thunderstone to evolve my Pikachu to level 47."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'm seeing is that singly-occuring ships (like the Saber-class Yeager & the like as well as closely-grouped ships (like the Drake & Fleming being so close) have the "single point" on the chart, while longer-ranged & multiply-occuring classes are extrapolated. Of course, the Freedom alone shoots that in the ass, doesn't it?

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chart has been fixed.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Cammodude
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Starfleet issues registry numbers like this (and this is just an example): "From the year 2200 to 2350, All registry numbbers between NCC-500 to NCC-16783 will be issued in a random order." Isn't that how they issue license plate numbers? I know very well that most cars of all sorts of different types new and old get random license numbers. Why does everybody assume it's not the same for starships.

------------------
"If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake...learned to sing....stop me Gage!"
--Aurther
The Journeyman Project 3

IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, here in NB all cars have consecutive lisence plate numbers; in 1990 new plates were issued. F'rinstance, vehicles used for business or with dual wheels on the rear axle have a plate that begins with L and a number. Just recently they had to add an extra digit. Before the plates were LXX XXX and now they're LXXXXXX. So, they're consecutive. Also, passenger vehicles have new plates. From 1990-2000, passenger vehicles had the plates BXX AAA where "X" is a letter and "A" is a number. Now there are GXX AAA plates.

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason why most people think that regos are chronologically issued, is because it's so obvious. It started in the 2160s with 1xx (Daedalus), the 2245 E-nil had 1701, The Excelsior (2284) had 2000, one of the two Whorfins from ST:G had 7xxx (in service by 2293), USS Galaxy (2357) NCC-70637, USS Voyager (2371) NCC-74656, etc. I've made an elaborate article + a chart showing the correlation between year and rego, which proves the entire assumption, also giving reasonable explanation for the way-off regos that are known.
It will show up on my always upcoming website.

Hope I won't get shot for starting another 'Registries Are Chronological' discussion...

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Actually, the transports in Generations were NARs, not NCCs.

And most of the chart is fixed, but that Apollo is still there. Was that intentional?

------------------

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The common belief that a majority of fans have is that Starfleet has a large fleet in the tens of thousands. To date, about two hundred and fifty starships from TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY have become known by registry and class. This is too small of a sample to develop a registry chart. I like the idea; however, this idea is very premature.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited July 28, 2000).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps