Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Archon question

Author Topic: USS Archon question
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my many projects I do for my upcoming site, is compiling a list with the origins of the more obscure starship names. I have most of them figured out by now. However, I still need to know where the name of the USS Archon comes from. Does anybody know that?

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An "archon" was a type of leader in ancient Greece, apparently.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"However, trying to convince your friends to learn a language is about as easy to do as getting a date with the pickup line 'Have you been to Weight Watchers?'" - How To Invent A Real Language

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Archon is a powerful Protoss unit formed by the merger of two Protoss high Templars. A Dark Archon is formed by merging two dark-tenplars. Oh wait, wrong franchise,

actually an Archon was the most important of the nine chief adminstrative officials of Ancient Athens.
After 638BC, each archon held office for 1 year. They were usually wealthy aristocrats and were elected to office. After 497 BC, they were chosen by lot.
Other Athenian oficials were King, Polemarch, and 6 Thesmothetae.

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.

------------------

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also They used the term "Archon" in the episode when they go to the Tollan's planet... Tollana.

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

I had come that far. But it seemed unlikely that they would name a ship after something such.

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I meant to say that was from Stargate-SG1 and was just another time I've heard the word 'Archon' used on Television.

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Odo referred to the Cardie judge as "Madam Archon," no...?

Just a thought - doubt they'd name a ship prior to Cardie contact after their judges... ^_^

------------------
STAR TREK: BEYOND - http://stbeyond.homestead.com

Get ready for a dual-ship series dealing with multiple timelines.... *grins*

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
USS Vanguard
An Archon is a powerful Protoss unit formed by the merger of two Protoss high Templars. A Dark Archon is formed by merging two dark-tenplars.

LOL Vanguard. I never did care much about them though. The Protoss carriers, now there's a powerful unit. Especially in a full fleet, they're almost unstoppable.

------------------
Daniel: "Senator, we have reason to believe the Goa'uld are about to attack."
Kinsey: "Then I think they'll regret taking on the United States military!"
Daniel: "Oh, you're right. We'll just upload a virus into the mother ship."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nyah, i've always been a terran player myself, but this is neither the time or the forum...

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well nyah to y'all! Tiberian Sun all the way! I bet you a couple of Banshees could whip the carrier's ass...

And I'd know - I've played Starcraft

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. "
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited August 18, 2000).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have both StarCraft: Brood War and Tiberium Sun. I never did like TS. But I still play SC:BW. And I'm a Terran player myself, Battlecruisers all the way!

------------------
Daniel: "Senator, we have reason to believe the Goa'uld are about to attack."
Kinsey: "Then I think they'll regret taking on the United States military!"
Daniel: "Oh, you're right. We'll just upload a virus into the mother ship."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiberian Sun is much much better. I just played a single skirmish for 4:59:45. Anyone here played a single SC level/scenario for tha tlong?

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

I can't remember, but i did just play a 7 hour round of Age of Empires II

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps