Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Klingon Prefixes

Author Topic: Klingon Prefixes
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering, what exactly determines if a Klingon ship will have the prefix IKC or IKS?
Thanks

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, IKC presumably means "Imperial Klingon Cruiser", and we know that at least the K't'inga and Vor'cha classes are cruisers of some kind. So seeing IKC on either of those would be okay. A more generic IKS (Imperial Klingon Ship) or IKV (Vessel) would be in order for the Birds of Prey, the Negh'var and Voodieh classes, and assorted other vessels - as well as for the established cruisers, of course.

However, where do we hear these prefices actually used in the shows or movies? ST:TMP has a line of monologue where a Klingon declares that the Imperial Klingon Cruiser Amar will continue attack - but are there any other occurrences of IKC anywhere?

As for why a certain ship is a cruiser and another one isn't... This would be the domain of "ship classification" discussions, and those aren't very productive due to the lack of coherent source material.
The K't'inga is established as a "battlecruiser", while the three-four times larger Vor'cha is an "attack cruiser", so trying to find a systematic approach is probably hopeless.

Timo Saloniemi

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Trials and Tribble-ations" [DS9], Kira mentions the "IKS Groth". I also remember Martok's BOP being referred to as "IKS Rotarran" once.

------------------
USS Allegiance LCARS Database

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was just wondering if they used one prefix in conjunction with a certain craft. I really don't want to get into any classification argument.

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone fluent in Klingon?

The same word could be loosely translated as ship or vessel or even cruiser.

The Universal Translator seems to have a blind spot when it comes to Klingonaase (look at how many times to fails to translate Klingons words or phrases) so it's definitely possible.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing those blind spots might be a result of Klingonese becoming more mainstream... I doubt that French words that are used in the English language would be coverted by the UT, so why would some Klingon words - if they have become 'incorporated' into the various languages of the Federation.

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps