Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Skreean ships

Author Topic: Skreean ships
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I�m curious, I have seen two types of skreean ships, but are there more? The only pic I�ve seen regarding the fleet is this: http://neutralzone.future.easyspace.com/AlienFleet/SkrreeanEmigrantShip03.htm

So, are they all just basically two types?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, i think not!
This ship seems to be a hybrid:
the front is unknown for me, but the rear is definitly the rear from one of this older subwarp-freighters seen in TNG (exp. the Batris) and the Xhosa (Kasidy Yates Ship from DS9).

BTW, where is Gothenburg in Sweden? Or is it swedisch for the german word G�teborg?
I made my holiday in Sweden! Great Country!! I envy you!

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, it�s "english" for G�teborg. I try to translate it since any englishspeaking would wonder about the letter �. And, thanks, I like living here, it�s great!

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's on the west coast, almost exactly opposite to Stockholm. I actually went there two weeks ago. Very nice, pIn'a', I like what you've done to the place.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, here's some info about the Skreean ships from the DS9 Companion. It seems that all the background ships (the ones that you can't see all that well 'cause they're too far away) were kitbashed from model kit parts of airplanes, tanks, etc. Too bad no one took any photos of these...

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old danish."
Homer: "Done and done...D'oh!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I believe the episode w/ the Skrreeans was also the one where, if you turn on the closed captioning when they first board the station, they're saying things like "far out" and "groovy"... :-)

------------------
"They might be the infamous buzzard collectors for what we know, grabbing hapless space avians so that they don't end up as smears in the windshield."
-Timo Saloniemi, 16-Aug-2000

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Dukhat: Hey, I didn�t know that, that would mean that we are seeing an unknown amount of new designs. It didn�t say how many, did it?

Nimrod: Thanks..I try..

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship on the foreground could be the Norkova turned upside down, instead of a customized variant. "The Passenger" has underside views of the Norkova that seem to match this topside. Timeline-wise, the model was last seen as the Norkova and would next become the Xhosa, so it would make sense for it to be in the Norkova configuration in "Sanctuary".

One could in this case argue that the Skreeans had purchased some Federation or at least Alphan ships to help with the evacuation, since this ship design is normally associated with Alpha freighters and AFAIK never ever seen in Gamma. (There's that one ship in Delta in "The Chute", though...)

Then again, the old Promellian ships seem to be utilized as native Skreean ships in "Sanctuary", so perhaps we cannot make the above statement. Or then the Skreean refugees rented that ship class from Alpha as well - perhaps from the Klingons who are seen using it in "Sons of Mogh"? I'm not sure I believe the Skreeans would have built any of those ships by themselves, given how they were portrayed as a rather monolithic agrarian culture. Their old enslavers (was it D'rogarians?) might of course have built and then abandoned those ships when the Dominion attacked.

Timo Saloniemi

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Norkova? Never heard of it. Does anyone have a pic of it and knows which DS9 episode the ship appears?

------------------

Starship Freak
Member # 293

But of course:

------------------

[This message has been edited by pIn'a' Sov (edited August 18, 2000).]

Nemesis
Member # 255

Well thanks!
Looks like any other StarTrek-very-old-freighter.
Must be some kind of modular design for the folks at the modell-department. I don't want to guess how often they have used this modell as freighter or reconfigured it for the same purpose.

------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pIna'SoV: Sorry, they didn't say how many models they made. All the info about them was what I posted.

Timo: The Skreean's captors were the T-Rogorans. A member of that race features prominently in my own fan-fiction writings for a new series.

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old danish."
Homer: "Done and done...D'oh!"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm stupid! (Here, now that's official...)

Of course the Skreean ship can't be an upside-down Norkova. The Norkova has those big containers hanging underneath, while the Skreean ship doesn't have them atop it.

Instead, the Skreean vessel appears to be the Xhosa turned upside down. For some reason, the freighter model was modified from Norkova to Xhosa between "The Passenger" and "Sanctuary". Was it just for the needs of "Sanctuary"? Quite intriguing, considering that the VFX folks had their hands full creating that big refugee fleet, and seemingly used the Promellian cruiser unmodified.

Could some other episode have required the model to be so reconfigured? Perhaps the ship was going to be used in some DS9 or even TNG episode predating "Sanctuary", but was dropped from the aired version of that episode?

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps