Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Antares class & canon

Author Topic: Antares class & canon
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it canon, that these freighters (eg. Xhosa) are Antares-class-ships?

Is it canon, that the USS Hermes is a Antares-class-vessel?

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A clear and loud YES to your question!
According to the famous StarTrek Ency both ships are Antares-Class.
Why the Hermes has a USS prefix is still another question.

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, there is no basis for the class designation for some of the ships listed as "Antares" in the Encyclopedia.

The ships truly specified as Antares class vessels in the actual episodes are:

-The Bajoran ship from TNG "Ensign Ro" (this design is frequently reused in DS9, and appears to be a warp-capable vessel, contrary to what was said in "Ensign Ro")

-The Corvallen ship from TNG "Face of the Enemy" (this is a reuse of the Straleb ship from TNG "The Outrageous Okona", and looks nothing like that other Antares)

-The Xhosa as specified in DS9 "For the Cause", I think (this is a modification of a design that originally appeared as the Talarian freighter in TNG "Heart of Glory"; again, it bears no resemblance whatsoever to the other two Antares ships)

In addition to these three canonical Antares ships, the Encyclopedia likes to claim that the other ships built out of Talarian freighter parts are also Antares class ships - even though they look radically different from the Xhosa. As for USS Hermes, I'm not convinced that Picard's viewscreen in "Redemption" actually listed the class of the ship until I hear it verified from somebody with a good-resolution VCR or inside info. OTOH, I have nothing against the idea that Starfleet would have a couple of "civilian" freighters in service, just like the Royal Navy operates simple Ro-Ro vessels as "amphibious assault ships" and has a variety of merchant ships for supply needs.

Timo Saloniemi

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Encyc-2 displays the computer screen from "Redemption", and no class names for any of the ships are mentioned. Only name and registry.

------------------
"And as we all know, a mesolytic quantumvector resonator is commonly
used to polarize isogravitic plasma-flux manifolds."

Starfleet Academy's Redshirt Guide to the Starfleet, 62nd edition,

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, there's a lingering possibility that Picard's "laptop" in his Ready Room displayed the classes of the ships in the scene where Data goes to ask for a command. Did we ever get a glimpse at that screen?

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps