Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Generation Shuttles

Author Topic: Generation Shuttles
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught the very end of Generations last night, and after the Farragut arrived to pick up the Enterprise survivors, they showed two types of shuttles landing on the saucer. The first were the regular Magellan type shuttles, and the second were the (for lack of a better term) Sydney shuttles. They were Sydneys except much smaller, anyway, I know the shuttle has already been seen previously in ST 6. But there was a seen with the syndey shuttles next to the magellan shuttles, so exactly how big were these things. Also, that must mean that the Farragut probably carried these larger shuttles just like any other on-board craft, right?

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Sydney shuttles" looked like the Executive Shuttle (as the Fact Files called it) from Trek VI

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, I'm just wondering how big they are

------------------

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are three types of shuttles present in the salvaging of the NCC-1701-D USS Enterprise. They are Class 6, Class 7, and the Executive Shuttles.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, don't you mean type 6 and type 7? And what type is the Magellan? It's the same thing as the shuttle from TFF.

------------------
"Weirdness doesn't frighten me. Ten-foot-tall purple wombats with shaving-cream-covered broadswords singing 'Kumbayah'... Now, that scares me..."
-Tim Nix

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

The magellan types i think are the type 6's. They were first seen in Darmok. Magellan was just the name of that shuttle.

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the Magellan was the same as the Galileo II from TFF. It had the same long body with side doors and the same nacelles.

------------------
"Weirdness doesn't frighten me. Ten-foot-tall purple wombats with shaving-cream-covered broadswords singing 'Kumbayah'... Now, that scares me..."
-Tim Nix

ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yakaspat calls that the type 5 shuttle, at his "TheTrekker" site. Makes sense enough...

By the way, said shuttle was labeled 1701-D - so some of the shuttlecraft were usable even after the saucer crash.

~ Jason :-)

(p.s. - They actually re-dressed the full-size ST5 shuttle set exterior as the older, unshortened "Magellan" craft for an omitted, yet filmed, scene where Worf & Geordi stood next to it, surveying the Ent-D saucer wreckage...)

------------------
STAR TREK: BEYOND - http://stbeyond.homestead.com

Get ready for a dual-ship series dealing with multiple timelines.... *grins*

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the only shuttlebay left was the main shuttlebay in the upper saucer on Deck 4. That facility is huge and the upper saucer didn't appear to be heavily damaged.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the size estimates...

The type 6 ("Magellan") shuttles seem to be the same size wrt the people seen on the saucertop as the TNG TM would imply. In turn, the groovy type 7 ("Sakharov") shuttles are far larger than the TM or the Encyclopedia would suggest, and are more in line with how they were actually portrayed in TNG. A length of about ten meters is suggested. I wonder where Rick and Mike got the 8.5m for the TM from? Probert's sketches of the design show varying scales, and I haven't seen an explicitly scaled sketch Andy would have considered "final". The interiors certainly suggest a craft at least ten meters long, perhaps longer.

None of the long "type 5" ("Hawking) shuttles were seen atop the saucer. One of the "executive shuttles" was shown landed, and it seemed three times as long as a type 7, or perhaps 30 meters. This of course jibes well with how the craft looks close up - it is about runabout-sized, and was indeed supposed to be used as a runabout in DS9 before TPTB opted for a more "modern" design. The windows and doors of the current Danube class runabouts still match the windows and doors of this "executive shuttle" because the interior sets were apparently finished with the "executive" design in mind...

We don't know if the big shuttle is warp-capable or not. There are very distinct TNG-style warp nacelles mounted on the underside, ramscoops facing aft - but these same things are AFAIK present in the ST6 model as well, suggesting they are NOT warp nacelles (any more than the half of a Romulan warbird nacelle also used on the model is a half of a Romulan warbird nacelle). Probably the "ramscoops" are supposed to denote impulse nozzles or something.

Or then the type is a specialized high-capacity atmospheric barge and not a real warp- or even impulse-capable shuttle. This would explain why these are seldom seen in use, but would be carried aboard the biggest starships as a norm nevertheless.

Timo Saloniemi

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When referring to different shuttles, I use the canonical description. The canonical description is "class", not "type".
Examples
1. Name not recorded. NCC-SB11/01. Class F Starbase Shuttlecraft. "The Menagerie, Part I".
2. Justman. NCC-1701-D/03. Class 6 Shuttlecraft. "Suspicions".
3. Name not recorded. NCC-74656/xx. Class 2 Shuttlecraft. "Night".
4. Name not recorded. Registry not recorded. Class S Shuttlecraft. Voyager episode from fifth year.
5. Name not recorded. Registry not recorded. Class 1 Shuttlecraft. "Alice".

These examples show overwhelmingly that different shuttles are identified by class designations in the episodes. The only sources for type designations comes from the encyclopedia and the technical manuels.

I don't understand the unwillingness of people to accept what is canonically given class designations for shuttles.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hardly "unwillingness". More like minor preference. I'm a bit stymied as to why it matters. (Says the man who loses a bit of sanity each time someone talks about XII phasers. But I digress.)

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, a correction to the above estimates on shuttle size. The "executive shuttle" is only about twice the length of the big "type 7" (or Class Somethingorother - I doubt the type or class of this design was ever canonically mentioned). That would put it at 20 meters or so. One could easily fit it into the shuttlebay of even a smallish ship. I doubt even a Constitution would be unable to carry one. And 20-30 people could be easily carried aboard.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

Oh, BTW, Targetemployee: Where did you get the registry number of the shuttle from "The Menagerie"? Was the model actually painted accordingly? And was the registry visible on screen? This sounds intriguing. I thought the Galileo model was never repainted.

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps