Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nebula class torp launcher question.....

Author Topic: Nebula class torp launcher question.....
Grapeape
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
Just curious, does the Nebula class have any built-in torpedo launchers? Obviously the Galaxy has two easily identifiable launchers, with a third, according to some sources, saucer-mounted launcher, which even if my life depended on it, CANNOT locate (any ideas?). But, other than those on the weapons pod (the number of launchers seems to vary) does the Nebula have any built-in launchers? If there is one, maybe it's in the same saucer-mounted location as on the Galaxy? The proof it MUST have a launcher somewhere is in the TNG episode "The Wounded", where the USS Phoenix, a sensor-pod equipped Nebula (no tubes in the pod, obviously)destroys a Cardassian warship and two transports with a combination of phasers and PHOTON TORPEDOES, according to the dialogue. So, any ideas?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Grapeape (edited August 26, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a forward launcher on the small neck that the Nebbie has. A Nebbie was seen firing a torp from that area in First Contact. However, there is no visible hole in the neck on the physical studio model. I don't know about the aft launchers on Nebbies that have the AWAC style sensor pod.

And the Galaxy's third launcher is aft ventral saucer normally covered up by the stardrive when docked together. Most likely there is also no visible hole for the launcher on the studio model of the saucer.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://boothby.hypermart.net/upload/nebula.jpg

AFAIK are the two holes in the red circle torpedo launchers. Maybe the four holes in the blue circles too.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grapeade was asking where the torp launchers were on the Nebbie other than the weapons pods.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, as Fitz's pic shows, a torp tube muzzle is really small in comparison to the general dimensions of the ship. There could easily be such a muzzle in the forward and aft parts of the secondary hull to cater for the requirements of "First Contact" and "The Wounded". Or there could be launchers in the winglike pod of the Phoenix. They would be far too small to be visible in the shots we have seen of Nebulas on screen (or at least in the shots we saw of the Phoenix and the ship that fired in "FC"), so we could pretend they ARE there (at least in these two ships) even though they really aren't part of the photographic model.

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Nebula's fire torpedo's from just above the deflector dish, just like on Voyager. Also the front of the pod has at least one torpedo launcher.

------------------
"Godzilla. Accept no expensive imitations."
- Eric Tolle, Usenet.

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the shooting from the neck was a mistake.
Have a look at bernds site, there are pictures from the nebbie and it definitly has torpedoe-launchers in the sensor-pod.

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's one helluva mistake...

"Ensign, what was that bang that shook the whole ship?"
"Er, sir, the boys down at Torpedo Control accidentally fired through the windows of Forward Observation Lounge Eleven."
"Damnit, Ensign, when I commanded 'reroute torpedo control' after that last hit we took, I didn't mean rerouting the torpedoes!"

I wonder if something similar happened to Picard's ship in "Darmok"...

Timo Saloniemi

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

I assumme you mean the weapons pod and not the AWACS-style sensor pod from the Phoenix.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, here are the facts, guys. We saw the Nebula fire torpedos from the pod in "Redemption, Pt. II".
It has been stated earlier that the munitions-pod can be refitted after demand, so it makes sense that slammed on a tactical pod before making a standoff against an uncounted number of Warbirds, hmm?

Also, even on some early schematics you could see two wholes in the farthest front of the pod, so the Redemption-Nebbie MIGHT have fired from both muzzles, Voyager-style.

Then for some reason a Nebbie fired from the standard-place in First Contact (and by standard I mean the place defined by the first Constitution class).

Now, some people think the FX-guys fucked up, but I believe the Nebula wasn't rigged for battle since the Borg cube came without notice, therefore the poor Nebbie had no choice but to dust off its standard issue, default by construction, single-barrel torp-launcher.

I can really picture some engineers prior to "Sector 001", breaking the seals to the hatch leading to the old torpedo-room, going "Man, I never thought I'd be in here again. You know, apart from the standard ship-tour they give you when you sign i...WOW, you can see the whole saucer from under here!!! Oops, time flies!!! Coffee-break, everyone!!"

(I should start writing some fan-fiction, waddaya think?)

They probably always had time to rig the pod BEFORE going into battle all the other times that particular ship was forced to break it's meteor-chasing/radiation-studying duties.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps