Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Prometheus "Dedication plaque" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Prometheus "Dedication plaque"
Face
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking for information on a dedication plaque that was not mentioned in the Star Trek: Encyclopedia, and that is the plaque from the Nebula-class USS Prometheus
from "Second Sight" DS9. Does anyone have any information on this plaque. I once e-mail Larry Nemecek
author of ST: TNG Companion and he said that he ones read somewhere that the motto was "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't..." ?

------------------

IP: Logged
Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*lol*
If that's true, then SF's really got to stop drinking.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I think most dedication plaques have in-jokes rather than serious quotations. They aren't seen that often, after all.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's some inside joke.
What's the Enterprise (TOS) one? "To boldly seek out new women where no man has looked before"?

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like lately though, the dedication plaques have been serious quotes. The new Prommie (MIAB) had a serious quote as did the Equinox.

I think all the bridges we saw in DS9 bore serious quotes on their plaques as well.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be one of the few things where Trek fans have actually had an effect on how Paramount does things. These dedication plaques have become so "popular" that there is actual "customer demand" to seeing them up close, if not in the episodes then at least in the Encyclopedias. So even if all the names listed there are still of the "Admiral Roddenberry" variety, the quotes tend to get more serious...

Timo Saloniemi

Cammodude
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TLE, I know this isn't about what this doesn't have anything to do with dedication plaqes, but where can I get a larger version of the "borgified Kenny" pic?

------------------
"If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake...learned to sing....stop me Gage!"
--Aurther
The Journeyman Project 3

For a good selection of pay-to-surf web sites go to www.refercentral.com/cammodude

IP: Logged
Teelie
Member # 280

Right here.

------------------

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a good thing that dedication mottos have become more 'serious'. A good, wise quote is just nice to read - nothing more, nothing less. But I hate the zillion-words quote from the Cousteau.

------------------
"And as we all know, a mesolytic quantumvector resonator is commonly
used to polarize isogravitic plasma-flux manifolds."

Starfleet Academy's Redshirt Guide to the Starfleet, 62nd edition,

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of small auxillary crafts, where are the dedication plaques on the Danube Class runabouts?

------------------
So why don't we make a little room in my BMW babe
Searching for some peace of mind
Hey I'll help you find it
I do believe that we are practicing the same religion
- from the song "Fastlove"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given how the dedication plaque of the Cousteau was personalized for a "Captain J-L Picard", it's probably up to the personal efforts of starship captains to equip their yachts with dedication plaques. Runabout or shuttle owners might not bother, not with the attrition rates we have witnessed.

It of course raises the question of whether Picard had to ask for the permission of Admiral Roddenberry and all those other big brass for the use of their names in the plaque, if it was just a personal project of Picard's.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked the question about the Danube Class deddie plaques of the good people at Star Trek:Communicator. They actually printed my question and a response. Basically, there have never been plaques on the runabout sets. One wonders why not, but there haven't been. That doesn't mean that they couldn't be somewhere that we haven't seen though...maybe in the bathroom.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*lol*
That's one of the worse things to do to a ship. Seriously, I hope to never find a ship's dedication plaque in one of its heads. They need to belong on the bridge or other primary command center.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most dedication plaques have been on the bridge. However, I know of two exceptions-
a. USS Tsiolkovsky
Her dedication plaque is in a corridor.
b. USS Phoenix
Her dedication plaque is in the captain's ready room.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of dp admirals, it seems as if Starfleet has 100+ year old officers running things.

------------------
Daniel: "Senator, we have reason to believe the Goa'uld are about to attack."
Kinsey: "Then I think they'll regret taking on the United States military!"
Daniel: "Oh, you're right. We'll just upload a virus into the mother ship."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps