Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 71325 Shuttlecraft (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 71325 Shuttlecraft
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

A picture of this shuttlecraft is available at Fitzs' site-Fitz8472.hypermart.net.

The shuttlecraft carries the registry of a starship and a shuttlecraft number. However, the name of this starship is not on the shuttlecraft. What could be the explanation for this starship's name to be 'missing' from the shuttlecraft?

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited September 19, 2000).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name could be anywhere, we just can't see it.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which shuttles carry the name of the mothership, anyway?

TOS shuttles had the mothership registry, followed by a slash and a single-digit ID number. The name of the mothership was relatively easily readable underneath, while the name of the shuttle was applied as free-style "nose art".

In the E-D shuttles, the name Enterprise wasn't shown at all, only the registry 1701-D. The early type-7 shuttles and shuttlepods displayed a large two-digit ID number in addition, but the later type-6 vehicles had this in *very* fine print so that the same shuttle model could be used to represent different vehicles without altering the number. In each case, the name of the shuttle itself was in superfine print, not readable in most of the effects shots.

The Voyager shuttles have both the mothership rego and name in relatively bold print, but the shuttle ID and name are again in superfine print to prevent the viewers from seeing them in the VFX shots.

Since the shuttle from "Caretaker" is a type-6 one (or Class-6 if one insists, as per "The Outcast"), it theoretically shouldn't have the mothership name visible. And the multitude of signage practices seen so far implies that *anything* is possible anyway.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Timo, don�t forget the shuttle from Wolf 359, what was that again? The USS Kotoi?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. The shuttlepods in TNG had "USS Enterprise" written on the side, though.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the USS Liberator from "The Art of Star Trek" book. And is it me or did they fix that shuttle for the ending scenes of Star Trek: Generations?

------------------
So why don't we make a little room in my BMW babe
Searching for some peace of mind
Hey I'll help you find it
I do believe that we are practicing the same religion
- from the song "Fastlove"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently visited Ex Astris Scientia to see the pictures of shuttlecrafts. And this is what I saw-every shuttlecraft has carried the name of the mothership either on the side (Galileo 5-USS Enterprise, Goddard- Enterprise, Sakharov-USS Enterprise, El Baz-USS Enterprise, Cochrane-USS Voyager, Tereshkova-USS Voyager, 01-USS Defiant), on the nacelle (Galileo-USS Enterprise), or on the bow (Cochrane-Voyager, Tereshkova-USS Voyager). The painting style for the Goddard, which is of the same class as the shuttlecraft in question, is, if looking from the aft to the bow, the shuttlecraft number, the name of the ship with the USS prefix absent, and the name of the shuttlecraft. In the location assigned for the starship name on the Caretaker shuttlecraft, this area is "blank". And, to answer Wolf359's remark, I have analyzed the pictures taken of similiar ships, the name of the starship is not painted on the bow, the undercarriage, the aft, or on the top. So, this returns us to the question-why is the name of the starship missing from the shuttlecraft?

This is the starboard side of the Sacajawea, a Class 6 shuttlecraft: http://starshipmodeler.com/trek/rside.jpg

Now is the view of the starboard side of the unnamed shuttlecraft in "Caretaker": http://fitz8472.hypermart.net/unknown_71325.jpg

I would hazard a guess that the unnamed class 6 shuttlecraft is an uncomplete model. There is the gray vent panel behind the starboard window and the yellow 'patch' below midline at the aft. The three lines of information (starship registry, shuttlecraft number, and shuttlecraft name) are missing from beneath the starboard window, along with the name and a few structural features.
------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited September 20, 2000).]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael_T: It�s you :-) I thought it was the galileo shuttle from st:V they fixed.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW: Any idea in which episode the name Tereshkova was readable and if the shuttle was blown up? (which is very likely)
Was it before or after they mentioned the Type-8 shuttle Drake?
Here's my current list: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/inconsistencies3.htm

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahem, these Sacajawea Shuttle looks suspiciosly like the Toy Shuttle i had once from Playmates!
Also the warp engines are a little bit bulky!
Didn't have the Voyager just Type12 and Type8 shuttles?

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seem to be several styles of decaling the TNG shuttlecraft. It's true that the FF schematics of type-7 show the mothership name between the red-line streamers, but the actual model of a type-7 next to the schematics shows no such name. There is this dark area farther forward between the streamers, but it seems more like a vent than a decal. In addition, FF gives the shuttle a NCC-1701-D rego, while all the actual, filmed type-7 craft have AFAIK only had 1701-D, sans the NCC.

In light of this, a missing mothership name in a type-6 shouldn't be all that strange. It would in fact tie in with the idea that starship captains (or deckmasters?) get to name their shuttlecraft - they could be delivered unpainted, and it would be up to the personal tastes (and the edition of SF Field Manual gathering dust on the said deckmaster's shelf) what sort of labeling would be painted on. The person painting the shuttles of NCC-71325 would have different tastes from the one responsible for the shuttles of NCC-74656...

Timo Saloniemi

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: The name 'Tereshkova' was seen in the Encyclopedia, printed on a type-8 shuttlecraft listed on a shuttle chart. The Encyclopedia identifies this particular shuttle, however, as having featured in "Parallax" [VOY]. I can't remember whether the name was legible anywhere in the episode.

------------------
"And as we all know, a mesolytic quantumvector resonator is commonly
used to polarize isogravitic plasma-flux manifolds."

Starfleet Academy's Redshirt Guide to the Starfleet, 62nd edition,

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it was still being painted? Or as Timo said, personal preference?

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Timo
Member # 245

Boy, I'm being typed in bold now? Oh, vey...

Or is that a subtle hint that I'm getting TOO bold around here? :-P

Timo Saloniemi

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shuttle in "Caretaker" had two registeries though, NCC-71325 and NCC-1701-D. The only thing I can think of is that 71325 is the ship that brought Paris somewhere near DS9.

------------------
Daniel: "Senator, we have reason to believe the Goa'uld are about to attack."
Kinsey: "Then I think they'll regret taking on the United States military!"
Daniel: "Oh, you're right. We'll just upload a virus into the mother ship."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps