Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Alien Star Fleet Designs

Author Topic: Alien Star Fleet Designs
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the different "families" of Fed ships, i.e. the E-nil, Excel, Ambass, Gal vs. the non-standard designs like Oberth, Defiant, and Akira reflect the difference between Andorian and Terran ship designers (and/or other species)? Star Fleet might gain a lot by drawing on the different species' different way of thinking about the problems. If so ideas on who might have come up with what?

At least I'd like them to mention some of the other races having *some* input into the UFP and the fleet.

First post by the way,

TK

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Toadkiller.

I agree. Star Trek seems to suggest that all ships are designed by humans at UP or on Earth. One of the good things about FASA was that they did come up with some Starfleet ships supposedly designed by Andorians.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Star Trek suggests all ships are designed by humans".

It does? Since when, exactly?

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, Starfleet seems to be run mostly by humans. Sure, we've seen a few token non-human captains (mostly Vulcans), but by and large most high-levels officers are humans. As far as I know, there's never been any indication that anyone but humans designed starships. I know that there may be non-human starship designers and engineers, but I don't think we've seen any.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this point, because I like to see some evidence of non-human ship designers of Starfleet ships!

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But there's no indication that there aren't any either, and the overabundance of humans has never been suggested (canonically) to be anything but a dramatic convention.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How cool! Different ships incorporate different layouts and aesthetics from the varying members of UFP.
A whole new way of seeing Starfleet for me!

------------------
Don't forget, I faked all the orgasms.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly, there have been human captains, vulcan captains, and tellarite captains ("Apocalypse Rising").

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Pro. Portside
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall the E-D underwent maintenance at starbase 74 in 11001001 the computer systems where worked on by a group of Bynars. So if there are non-humans working on maintenace teams it is not a big jump to clame that some of the people working on the design teams are also not human. and to all the "humans" in starfleet the Betazoid "look" human but aren't so who knows there could be more than one human looking group of aliens in the federation( not a lot I hope but some)

------------------
Tribbles and warp cores dont mix

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think "Apocalypse Rising" mentioned a Benzenite captain as well - or was only the Tellarite specified as a captain? And there are plenty of Bolians and Andorians and Betazoids in flag ranks - presumably they were captains earlier in their careers. Still, the number of alien captains seen so far is lower than the number of humans seen, let alone of humans mentioned. Or then these aliens just have Anglo-Saxon names!

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thu cunnst thone Engliscgereorde?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Gardening for Dummies is too intense." - Rick

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Klingon brags about ripping out the breathing tube of the Starfleet captain IIRC

------------------
Hey fella, I bet you're still livin' in your parents' cellar
Downloadin' pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar
And postin "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er
I should do the world a favor and cap you like Old Yeller
You're just about as useless as jpegs to Helen Keller

pod99
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that idea

It was always interesting why some ships clearly belonged to a family (Excelsior, Ambassador, Galaxy etc) and others seemed completely out of place like the Akira.

I enjoyed playing Birth of the Federation and in that when you acquire a new minor race you get to use their ship designs, that idea might really be used. Say a new alien member of the Federation (Race X) had the Akira design, Starfleet might well take the design, make a few modifications - like change the paint colour - and then use it.

But I don't agree with the idea of only humans making ships, just doesn't seem right for such a large and mixed Federation.

(And my first post as well.)

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are all the ship class names Human in origin... is it just that it was that it happened to be a Human name as the next name for a ship and that that ship happened to be a prototype ship?

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now if only Arturis's people could've joined Starfleet all would be nice!

------------------
Don't forget, I faked all the orgasms.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps