Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Daedalus Beginnings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Daedalus Beginnings
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the Daedalus class was designed but Matt Jefferies for the purpose of being maybe the Enterprise. However that design was fuether refined to the ship we know today. However in the Trek Universe, when and why do you think the Daedalus class was designed?

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happen to be working on a Starfleet Museum article about this right now! So you'll have to wait a few more weeks. In one of my articles already posted, I suggest that Daedalus was based on my Fireball class. http://www.starfleet-museum.org/fireball-daedalus.htm

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why was it designed? Probably for the same reason any ship is designed... :-)

------------------
Teal'c: "I am a traitor to no-one."
Jaffa woman: "Except your god!"
Teal'c: "False god! Dead false god..."
-Stargate: SG-1, "Into the Fire"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would the Daedelus have been the first 'Starship' as the Daedelus character was the first 'man' to fly?? Wasn't he... you know with those wings!?!

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, his wings melted, and he fell in the ocean and died. (Or was that Icarus?) Not very encouraging. A lot of Daedalus ships were lost, so maybe the name was appropriate, if unfortunate.

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was Icarus, bubby.

Still, I think the Daedaluses ("Daedali?") were probably Starfleet's ONLY ships at the beginning. Oh, SURE, they were supplemented by loaners from the various member-planet militias, but I don't think there were immediately an assload of classes around. I bet Starfleet was very much like the Klingons & Romulans in terms of fewer ship deigns in the "bootstrap days."

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I in turn think that the Daedali preceded the founding of Starfleet, and were already built by Earthfleet for use in the Romulan War. This would give some more breathing room - the ships are known to be operating far away from Earth very soon after the founding of Starfleet.

(Also, I'd like to equate them with the so-called Horizon class of FASA RPG fame, since this class supposedly included the TOS-references USS Horizon and USS Archon that now belong to Daedalus class. The timelines would work out *very* nicely. This would also leave the name "Horizon class" free for another RPG ship class, namely the one which served as the basis of the Constitution class... But this is all strictly noncanon stuff, of course.)

The Daedali probably didn't see much military action before the war ended, but one thing is for sure: the first task of Starfleet would have been to field heavily armed warships. A major war had just ended indecisively, with the enemy lurking behind a Neutral Zone. Exploration would be a secondary goal in that situation.

Since we don't see much weapons on the Daedali, there are two main possibilities:

1)They are hidden very well. Not impossible - the weapons of the TOS Enterprise were also very well hidden.
2)There aren't any weapons, making the Daedali second-rate ships. They would be unsuited for Starfleet's primary mission of patrolling the RNZ, so they'd be sent out to perform the secondary mission, exploration.

Of course, the silence of the Romulan front and the successes of the Daedali would soon make Starfleet switch its priorities.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't all the Daedalus Classes have registries NCC-1XX?

This would support my theory that the very first starship with a "Federation" registry i.e. NCC was the U.S.S. Daedalus NCC-100. I don't think Starfleet started numbering at 1. NCC-1. I suppose it could've done NCC-001 knowing there would be a ton of ships in the future...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that NCC-1 is an unlikely registry number. NCC-01 is a possibility, and would jibe with the weird "NX-01-A USS Dauntless" thing that Janeway and pals seemed to swallow hook, line and sinker in "Hope and Fear".

But the Daedali have regos in the 17X range (or 16X if a rather unconvincing Encyclopedia reference is counted). I doubt NCC-100 belonged to the Daedalus class at all, since it would seem unlikely for Starfleet to build more than seventy ships of that design in those early years.

Also, it seems unlikely that the first couple of hundred NCCs were chronologically ordered according to the age of the ship design, or the year of service entry. In the early years, Starfleet must have gone from zero ships to a working fleet in a very short period of time, and hundreds of ships must have been (re-)registered in that time. It would stand to reason that the numbers would be given in some sort of "operational priority" manner - i.e. the biggest and baddest cruiser gets NCC-01, instead of the oldest and scrappiest old scout to be adopted from Earthfleet to Starfleet.

I'd probably put USS Daedalus at NCC-170 or something, with NCC-01 being a big battleship or command ship of some sort. The Daedali could actually be rather small second-line vessels in that scenario...

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Course, the real singular ought to be "Daidalos", which I believe makes the the plural "Daidaloi", but I suppose that's irrelevant... :-)

------------------
Teal'c: "I am a traitor to no-one."
Jaffa woman: "Except your god!"
Teal'c: "False god! Dead false god..."
-Stargate: SG-1, "Into the Fire"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In other words, the answer to the question "What's up with the Daedalus?" is: Insufficient data.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Well, what's wrong with NCC-1? If we accept "placeholder" zeros would we then have to accept NCC-0683 or 00683 for Grissom and NCC-01701 for Enterprise? The USS military when numbering ships and planes doesn't use any placeholder zeros. The first carrier was CV-1 and the first battle ship was BB-1. It's not as if the numbers on ships are shown on some sort of digital display.

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye...I started at NCC-1 as well. Of course, I made that USS Daedalus, but....

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

By the way, how sure are we of those Daedalus class regos? Are Horizon, Archon, Essex (and Carolina!) established on air as Daedalus ships with those numbers or are they only Encyclopedia assumptions?

------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Essex is indentifed completely in dialogue as Daedalus class and NCC-173. Horizon and Archon were contemporaries and so were grouped as the same class. Their regos were made up to fit the time. Carolina is out of whack altogether.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps