Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A proposal (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A proposal
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO, not THAT kind!

I've been going over my increasingly out-of-date book starship list. I am considering re-reading them (or at least, skimming through the books looking for starship names), updating my list, and posting the ship names/classes/registries/status if known/commander if known info here, book-by-book.

's anybody interested in that?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye.

------------------
"Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps."
- Tiger Woods

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not too many of the books that I've read have had any other ships or captains in them, but if I remember any I'll be sure to mention them to you.

------------------
"He may not be a god, but on this ship, I am!"
-Andromeda

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... opportunity to spam, I'll take it!

Starship Database - FSD. I've collected what canon information I could find with a brief description for each starship based on the ST:Encyclopedia. There might be some of the info you're looking for. I also include the episode-series/movie the ship appears in.

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IINM, he's talking about re-reading his novels, and documenting his findings here.

------------------
"Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps."
- Tiger Woods

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes: I believe First is talking about ships from non-canonical novels...

------------------
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
-Yasir Arafat on religious wars

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested. Just say me, which books I should read through.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh.. I guess I misunderstood, sorry.

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.
I mean to reread my entire collection of Pocket Books' Trek books... I have almost all of them.
95 TOS plus "specialty" and hardback novels
58 TNG plus see above
something like 30 DS9
(I'll probably Skip Voyager, as I'm primarily concerned with local ships, and I don't have all the Voyager books... BUT... I may go ahead and read them and list any Alpha Quadrant ships, like any member of the crew's previous vessels.)

So the list should go:

Name
Class or type if known (Cruiser, Constellation Class, Fighter, etc)
Registry if mentioned (NCC, IKV, NAR, etc)
Status (at the end of book, has it blown up or not?) if discernable.
Commander if mentioned
Power/Race/Species, if not Federation
Source (TNG#80, TOS:Probe, etc.)

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane Duane's new "Swordhunt" and "Honor Blade" give two early Constellations and one Constitution, in an era that is not very well defined. Could be post-TOS/pre-TMP or then post-TMP, as long as it is pre-ST2. I'll check the names of those ships by Monday. One of the Connies was "Speedwell", but the other two names weren't recognizable English words... No registry info, but the commanders are given. Plenty of Romulan ship names, too.

Timo Saloniemi

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

{rant}

Damnit, HOW can I do this all for everybody

IF YOU KEEP JUMPING THE DAMN GUN AND TAKING OVER FOR ME???

{/rant}

------------------

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited October 27, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nyah, nyah!

Okay, here's the "Honor Blade" list of Starfleet ships, with spoilers galore:

ship/class/commander

Sempach/Constellation/Commodore Jono Davilov
Speedwell/Constellation/Capt. Birga Helgasdottir
Ortisei/Constitution/Capt. Harold Gutierrez
Lake Champlain/(N/A)/Capt. Finn Winter (a Centauri)
Hemalat/(N/A)/Capt. Hressth ssha-Aurrffesh (a Caitian)
Nimrod/(N/A)/(N/A)

The Lake Champlain was destroyed in a battle relatively easily - possibly a small vessel. The Hemalat had a primary hull (suggesting she had a secondary as well) and torpedo armament, so possibly she was a Constitution as well. In addition, an older ship named the Raksha was mentioned as retired from under Capt. Gutierrez. And the Sempach had apparently been the second Constellation built, right after the class ship, with the Speedwell following "soon thereafter", but before the Hathaway and the Stargazer. While cover art suggests deep TOS era, this could be immediate pre-TMP instead.

New Romulan ships are also listed. Here are the ones from "Honor Blade"; "Swordhunt" had seven more but I misplaced my notes on them...

Gorget (big new Romulan design, swept-back pylons)
Thaiset (ditto)
Saheh'lill
Greave
Pillion (K't'inga)
Hheirant (K't'inga)
Calaf (light cruiser)
Teverresh (light cruiser)

Add a Lalairu cityship named the Mascrar, and that's it.

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"HELGASdottir?!?" NO. Nononononononononononononononono.......

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THEY DESTROYED LAKE CHAMPLAIN??? Damn!! Best trout-waters in the world...

------------------
So, how's that Survivor-contest coming along, Newt?
-Well not very well at the MOMENT, everyone seems to have died.
-Gee, that's bad. Those Aliens bugging you yet?
-Not really, they mostly come at night mostly...

Timo
Member # 245

They also battered the Nimrod enough to render her silent.

The other ships survived until the end of the book, but this may change in the final book of the "pentalogy", so I didn't comment on the exact fates of the ships. Of the Romulan ships, only the Gorget and the Pillion managed to limp away alive, and that is almost CERTAIN to change soon.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps