Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Question from STMag 19 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Question from STMag 19
Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if any one else noticed but in the Klingon Article by Ron D Moore he mentions something interesting.

On page 64 he talks about how the novel "The Final Reflection" by John M Ford was a big influence in Ron's re-inventing of the Klingons. And on the flip side Ron hated Worlds of the Federation so he went out of his way to do everything opposite of what was posted in Worlds.

What other books have we seen influence on cannon Trek?

The Spaceflight Chronology published in 1979 was worked on by Rick Sternbach. It was the first place that mentions that the uprated Enterprise seen in TMP was still a Constitution class, going against all other enteries which had it listed as Enterprise Class (something I would have agreed with). Until Star Trek 6 with Scotty looking at Constitution Class prints there was still a debate over this. I wonder if Rick had those prints created with Constitution class because of his work in The Spaceflight Chronology.

The USS Revere and the USS Columbia mentioned in TMP were both listed (with registry) in Franz Joseph Manual. The rumored USS Entente is also listed in the Manual. The graphics seen in TWOK and TSFS also came from this Manual. They include the showing of the Scout/Destroyer and Tug.

I have noticed several works from FASA and Worlds of the Federation that have shown up in different Okudagrams.

What other works have we noticed? Do we know of any others were writers went to lenghts to disprove something.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really obscure, but the only thign I can remember off the top of my head was that mention of Kor's old ship being of the same class as the ship he had in an Animated Series episode.

As for instances of the writers putting stuff in to make it canon? They're annoyingly variable on it.

Take "Trials and Tribble-ations". They finally confirm the hypothetical D-7 class of Klingon cruiser. Yay!

On the other side, who sat through "Valiant" waiting for someone, anyone, to say "Defiant-class"? I screamed at the TV when the episode ended, and it wasn't said.

Well, okay, I got some milk. But it's the same thing.

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
On the other side, who sat through "Valiant" waiting for someone, anyone, to say "Defiant-class"? I screamed at the TV when the episode ended, and it wasn't said.

Where's the problem? Defiant-class is on the Defiant-dedplaque, on the Valiant-dedplaque, and on the Sao Paulo-dedplaque.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there was a small faction back then who were convinced that it was Valiant class, not Defiant class. Don't ask me why.

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Trials and Tribble-ations" didn't entirely relieve my frustration, since the ship there was distinct from the actual TOS vessels - it had a bit more greeblings, even though it wasn't quite as bumpy as the K't'ingas. So perhaps the smooth-hulled Klingon and Romulan ships were actually D-6 vessels while only Koloth in "TwT" operated a real D-7?

Timo Saloniemi

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall correctly, parts of the Franz Joseph deckplans were seen in ST:TMP and TWOK.
Personally I always loved some of the fan designs in things like "Ships of the Star Fleet"; it's a shame that we only got to see such classes in Tobias Richter's Ultimate Star Trek on the Amiga
Decatur, Belnkap, the three-nacelled dreadnoughts, the carriers... and of course, the Avenger-class (judging by what we saw in TWOK, the Reliant suited that class name quite nicely... plus 'Miranda' is a bit of a girly name for a ship )

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Where's the problem? Defiant-class is on the Defiant-dedplaque, on the Valiant-dedplaque, and on the Sao Paulo-dedplaque."

Because, going by that, the original Enterprise is "Starship class".

Sorry, but unless it's been said on screen, I don't believe it.

Remember how many times we were hit over the head with "Galaxy-class" during the first season on TNG? Remember how in Caretaker they got "Intrepid-class" said almost as soon as we saw Voyager? And conversly, I don't recall anyone ever saying Constitution class on screen until "Relics". (As a side not, the "Constition class" blueprint in ST6 counts, since it was clearly visible. As a rule, okudagrams and dedication plaques are not).

The general public are not so anal as to read up on what the dedication plaques say. It's nice for someone to say something in dialogue, because it's much harder to refute later. Dedication plaques can easily be ignored.

And the Defiants wouldn't have said "Defiant class". t would have said "First ship of her class" (I can't remember, so I could be wrong).

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In one of the Deep Space Nine episodes, there is a shot of the U.S.S. Defiant's dedication plate. And in "The Dogs of War", the plate of the U.S.S. Sao Paulo is seen very clearly with her class, registry, and launch readable.

As for classes that are canonical, they are:
Dialogue
Ambassador Class ("Conspiracy")
Constellation Class ("The Battle")
Constitution Class ("The Naked Now")
Daedalus Class ("Power Play")
Danube Class/Runabout Class ("Hippocratic Oath"/"Emissary")
Excelsior Class ("Family")
Galaxy Class ("Encounter at Farpoint")
Intrepid Class ("Caretaker")
Nebula Class ("The Wounded")
Nova Class ("Equinox, Part One")
Soyuz Class ("Cause and Effect")

Non-dialogue (props by Okuda)
Apollo Class (Starship Chart, fourth year; listed as conjectural in encyclopedia)
Bradbury Class (Starship Chart, fourth year)
Defiant Class (Dedication plate, "The Dogs of War")
Korolev Class (Starship Chart, fourth year; listed as conjectural in encyclopedia)
Miranda Class (Dedication plate, "Night Terrors")
New Orleans Class(Starship Chart, fourth year)
Oberth Class (Dedication plate, "The Naked Now")
Prometheus Class (Dedication plate, "Message in a Bottle")
Renaissance Class (Starship chart, fourth year; listed as conjectural in encyclopedia)
Sovereign Class (Dedication plate, First Contact)
Sydney Class ("Relics")

Missing from canonical evidence as known to us
Akira Class
Andromeda Class
Antares Class
Challenger Class
Cheyenne Class
Chimera Class
Freedom Class
Hokule'a Class
Istanbul Class
Mediterranean Class
Merced Class
Niagara Class
Norway Class
Rigel Class
Springfield Class
Steamrunner Class
Wambandu Class
Yorkshire Class
Zodiac Class

I believe the reason that Mr. Okuda lists some of the classes as conjectural is that the named starship of a class (say, the U.S.S. Aries) may prove to be of another class. This is a way-out for him.
------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited November 03, 2000).]

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we are talking about dedication plaques is there one for every ship bridge set we see?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NX001A

Bridge sets with dedication plates
Yes
U.S.S. Enterprise
U.S.S. Enterprise A
U.S.S. Excelsior
U.S.S. Enterprise D
U.S.S. Stargazer
U.S.S. Yamato
U.S.S. Brattain
U.S.S. Sutherland
U.S.S. Pasteur
U.S.S. Enterprise B
U.S.S. Enterprise D
U.S.S. Saratoga
U.S.S. Prometheus
U.S.S. Odyssey
U.S.S. Defiant
U.S.S. Sao Paulo
U.S.S. Voyager
U.S.S. Prometheus
U.S.S. Relativity
U.S.S. Equinox

No:
U.S.S. Lexington
U.S.S. Exeter
U.S.S. Defiant
U.S.S. Reliant
U.S.S. Saratoga
All runabouts
U.S.S. Lakota

Possible:
U.S.S. Enterprise C
U.S.S. Jenolan

U.S.S. Tsiolkovsky had d. plate in hallway.
U.S.S. Hathaway had d. plate in engineering.
U.S.S. Phoenix had d. plate in ready room.

I may have missed one or two.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what dedication plaques on the Stargazer, the Saratoga and the Odyssey say, as I have never seen them.

------------------
Cluck cluck jibber jibber, my old man's a mushroom etc.

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Stargazer was "To bring light into darkness".

The Odyssey was "It's origin and purpose, still a total mystery".

I don't think the Saratoga had one.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't "Sydney-class" mentioned in dialogue?

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited November 04, 2000).]

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TargetEmployee

You forgot the dialog for Erwon (sp?) class by Sisko in the episode where Obrian and Sisko get trapped on the planet with people who regected technology (and for the life of me I can't remember right now.....aaaahhhh) This ship was the colony transport they were using before it crashed.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Captain Stark
Member # 70

PsyLiam

Ron Moore was great for sneaking in TAS references in his scripts. Okudagrams had some as well. If you look at the map shown in Conspiracy (and seen very well in the STTNG 10th Anniversary book) there are a ton of planet names from the Animated Series.

IMHO I believe they should have included the TAS episodes in various book like the Chronology and Encyclopedia. I believe that they are a portion of the huge Trek universe. Yes they have some problems but so does every other series (TOS, TMS, TNG, DS9, Voy).

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark http://beam.to/readyroom

[This message has been edited by Captain Stark (edited November 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Captain Stark (edited November 03, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps