Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nebula Melbourne

Author Topic: Nebula Melbourne
Capt Sharpe
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since its been pretty much confirmed that the Melbourne at Wolf359 was Excelsior Class, we're left with a nameless Proto-Nebula. But we also have the USS Liberator shuttle which has a Reg# suitable for a Nebula Class ship. Anyone seeing a possible link here?

------------------

IP: Logged
Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we should consider this Proto-Nebula as USS Liberator, although the damaged Shuttle was intended to use in another Episode.

BTW, welcome to our Forum John!
It's me Daniel aka Andreas Loews!

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm lost. Okay, the USS Melbourne in "The Best of Both Worlds" was a Nebula-class starship right? I mean, NCC-62043 is a Nebula registry and no other Excelsior-class starships go that high.

So along comes "Emissary" a couple years later and the Melbourne becomes an Excelsior-class starship. Which I have listed as on my website.

But the way I read what Capt Sharpe said, it seems now that the Melbourne has always been Excelsior-class (model-wise and on TV).

As for the 4-nacelled Nebula model, I still think it's the Melbourne. Part of my reason is that in "Future Imperfect" the model is on display in Captain Riker's ready room. The little plaque says Melbourne, a ship Riker was offered command of in "The Best of Both Worlds". This tells me that up until "Emissary" that the Melbourne was Nebula-class.

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited November 03, 2000).]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The proto-Nebula wasn't nameless, it had U.S.S. Melbourne printed right on the saucer. However, to answer Capt. Sharpe's question, I personally don't think there is a link between the damaged shuttle and the proto-Nebula. Even the shuttle's appearance in the episode is still under debate, since the Wolf 359 scene has been analyzed closely for about a year now, and no corresponding shuttle wreckage has been found.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Capt. Sharpe.

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there really a name on the Nebula wreck? In the photos displayed on Bernd's page, I can only see the registries (both dorsal and ventral) but no trace of a name anywhere. It almost looks as if no name was painted on - the damage to the saucer isn't extensive enough to have completely eradicated the areas where a name as long as U.S.S. Melbourne would be.

What is clear, though, is that the registry we see on the Nebula wreck is not the registry of the Liberator... So that connection does not work.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two clearer images which, you guess it, I a m not authorized to post. The name "Melbourne" is on the Nebula. However, since we could barely identify the Nebula ship, it seems we have to go aith the excelsior Melbourne.

Personally, I think the destroyed Nebula-class ship is the USS Nebula NCC-60***. This would explain the two additional nacelles.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps