Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Klingon generation ship

Author Topic: Klingon generation ship
nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since there is going to be an episode with a ship full of klingons, i wonder what type of ship it might be? A D7 cruiser maybe?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, considering that it is a generational ship, that suggests to me a rather large colony-type ship, not a warship. I�m hoping for a new design.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably that crap we saw docked to an upper DS9-pylon at one time, the ugly one.

------------------
So, how's that Survivor-contest coming along, Newt?
-Well not very well at the MOMENT, everyone seems to have died.
-Gee, that's bad. Those Aliens bugging you yet?
-Not really, they mostly come at night mostly...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean the Promellian cruiser painted green in "Sons of Mogh"? It wasn't all that big, really. But better than most alternatives, I guess.

We've seen a Klingon long-duration mission ship already, namely a standard K't'inga equipped with cryosleep (or perhaps stasis) units in TNG "The Emissary". Will the Voyager ship be a true generation ship or just a sleeper ship like this K't'inga? I'd like to see an old Klingon design instead of a reuse of an existing model. Of course, it remains unknown HOW old this ship will be. Did Klingons start starfaring when humans did, or a century or two later, or perhaps a couple of thousand years earlier?

It would also be interesting to learn WHY Klingons go to long-duration missions. Do they search for easy conquests far away? Do misfits escape the government this way? (The sleeper ship in "The Emissary" was endorsed by the government, though - or at least by the government that held power when the ship returned) Or do Klingons wish to ensure survival of their race by seeding as faraway corners of the galaxy as possible?

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC in James Dixon's timeline, and I believe it was canon, the klingons and romulans had some big interstellar wars back in our 1000 AD.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited November 10, 2000).]

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm... IIRC, James Dixon's timeline is not "canon" but instead compiles EVERY source - novels, comics, RPGs etc. - and tries to reconcile them.

The Klingon 'sleeper ship' in "The Emissary" was, in my opinion, a group of frozen warriors... and a pretty small group at that! A "generation ship" implies something much larger... maybe the size of the Enterprise-D, maybe much larger than that even - effectively a mobile station or colony, or a ship with large numbers of cryogenic/stasis pods and enough equipment to build a colony from scratch (and, knowing the Klingons, fight a war)...

If the Klingons have been active for however many years, it would be interesting to see how their society differs from 'modern' Alpha Quadrant Klingons.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they'll be TOS-style Klingons... *L*

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wonder why they travelled over 60000 light years?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Starbuck
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they were following the Yellow Brick Wormole to find the Emerald Array and meet the Wizard of Ocampa

------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
{quote]Maybe they'll be TOS-style Klingons...[/quote]
I hope they do! That will make up for Treshold, Ashes to Ashes and the other crappy eps in Voy!
Maybe they'll have time to explain the 'long story' Worf was referring to when Bashir mentioned the 'smoothies'

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starbuck, JD's timeline does NOT include comics. JD rejects them hisself, just like fanzines, "young readers" books, etc. His chronology also lists canon stuff, not solely non-canon stuff. He just makes no distinction between non-canon and canon, that's something else.

Personally, I'd vote for a new design (we already saw a K'tinga war cruiser as a sleeper ship, how illogical!) . All Klingon ships we've seen before are combat ships (correct me if I'm wrong), very unlike from what you'd expect from a sleeper ship. But Trek history learns that they probably would re-use an existing design. Even re-using an alien (non-Klingon) design would not surprise me, no matter how illogical.
I wonder when we get to see a re-use of some Starfleet shuttle used as a high-power battle ship...

------------------
Sponsored by Heineken(R)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TPTB used the shots of the K'T'inga just so they could save some money and re-use old stock footage from the first Trek movie. If you noticed, the ship is only seen on the Enterprise's viewscreen. I'm guessing that the new sleeper ship will be seen a lot more, necessitating the need for a new model, most likely CGI. (Unless they re-use Kang's battlecruiser from "Flashback")

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember the Klingons were under the thumb of the Hurq a few thousand years ago... I'm sure to either get rid of them, or recover after they left that they might have used space-travel... maybe - now I'm sure that Voyager WON'T indulge in this nice piece of continuity... that this Klingon ship set out to the Hurq homeworld which was in the Gamma Quadrant... I guess they could have been pushed off course??

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Starbuck
Member # 153

quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri:
Starbuck, JD's timeline does NOT include comics. JD rejects them hisself, just like fanzines, "young readers" books, etc. His chronology also lists canon stuff, not solely non-canon stuff. He just makes no distinction between non-canon and canon, that's something else.

OK, I screwed up... bear in mind I read the thing a while back and lost the URL. The point I was making is that not everything in that chronology is canon - he tries to merge "canon" and "authorised" into a coherent whole, and also fixes some of the Okudas' mistakes. So although something was included in there about old Klingon-Romulan wars, unless I miss my guess it would be from FASA or a novel or somesuch, because I'm damn sure it was never on the show.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps